Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Excelsior JET

I found out about Excelsior JET, the Ahead Of Time compiler for Java. Does anyone have any experience with it? How fast are it's executables? How well does it work? And above all, does anyone knows of any commercial application developed with it?

RP
Thursday, August 26, 2004

I tried it out a few years ago and thought it looked great.  We wanted to speed up a computation heavy application by compiling to native code.  It took my Java code (unaltered) and sped it up 3 or 4 times. 

At the time it only ran on Windows (now it's cross-platform) so we decided to focus on other technologies.  I haven't used it recently, but I took a quick look at their marketing material at Java One.  My impression was they've continued to improve it in the couple of years since.

Will
Thursday, August 26, 2004

I used this some weeks ago.
The results are that:

For computations etc, it speeds the app up.
For UI (in Swing) there is (almost) no improvement.

If you do UI work, you'll have to ship the JRE (but their installer can bundle it for you) due to legal reasons from Sun.

Be ready to wait for a while before everything gets compiled (I mean a quarter of an hour for a not that big app).

But for server side, it can be great.

RedFox
Friday, August 27, 2004

I too can highly recommend it. I've used it to produce a JRE-less .EXE for an SWT-based desktop application, which worked very well. Excellent email-based tech support too.

Matthew
Thursday, September 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home