Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Visual Studio .Net / Source control

Another day, another gripe with the bloody remains of an abortion that is a Microsoft product.

Trying to integrate CM Synergy (Telelogic - Continuus as was) with Visual Studio.NET. Should have learnt my lesson from trying to do it with PVCS Dimensions.

Has anyone got this to work????? In fact has anyone managed to integrate anything (SCM tools) other than VSS with Visual Studio.NET??????

The rest of VS.NET is pretty good. But this bit really really sucks. You can get into loops of message boxes that you can't get out of. A really really useful message comes up saying "The operation could not be completed". Great, a big help.

gwyn
Thursday, August 26, 2004

Another day, another miserable soul.

This guy's misery makes sense.  The source control integration stuff in Visual Studio is really, really awful.

Eric Sink

Eric, where is the link to your product?
Another day, another missed selling opportunity.

This isn't a place for me to advertise.  I only hang around here because I just love to converse with people like muppet.

Eric Sink

I guess the silence is telling.

Anyway, having gotten thoroughly pissed off with that I then tried to amuse myself with a game of Solitaire...

But I couldn't win the bloody thing. Doh! Another flawed Microsoft product, serving me a game I couldn't win...

gwyn

We use dotNet and lack source control. But then we don't use SC with the VS6 projects either.

Peter

> In fact has anyone managed to integrate anything (SCM tools) other than VSS with Visual Studio.NET??????

At my previous job some people used ClearCase integrated with MSVC v6.

And I currently have three non-SCM tools (National Intrument's Measurement Studio, Borland's Together, and Compuware's DevPartner Profiler) integrated with the MSDE 2003.

Christopher Wells

Do yourself a favor and do a quick google search on "Eric Sink".  His company's offering has met my company's needs and the integration is at least ok (or at least as good as VSS).

<sigh/>

Dude, that first sentence was simply gross.

JWA

I've used PVCS, VSS, and now Vault. I don't like using any of them through VS.NET or any other IDE cause the IDE's generally don't offer enough features of the source control. I'd rather run it separately.

BTW, Eric's product is Vault at sourcegear.com. It's far, far superior to VSS and PVCS (both of which I've used for years).

Oh, and if you go to ericsink.com you'll find a version of Solitaire where every deal is at least winnable.

:-)

Bill Nalen

>A really really useful message comes up saying "The operation could not be completed"

If it makes you feel any better, we used to get that dialog a lot with VSS too!  One day, the problem just stopped happening.  We never knew why.

We've struck various other issues with Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Source Safe, so even with MS's own source control product, the IDE integration is flawed.  Hopefully, they'll improve it a lot in Visual Studio 2005, to the point where both their own tools and competing ones can be intergrated well.

John Rusk
Friday, August 27, 2004

I've never been happy with the SCCS integration with any of the Visual Studio products (6.0 or .net).

I've always done my check-outs/check-ins outside of the IDE before editing code.

example
Friday, August 27, 2004

We're using SourceGear's Vault product (v2.0.3) and it's quite nice, IMHO... although I haven't yet figured out how to integrate MultiEdit with it :) 

It has a nice installer, auto configures itself with VS.Net as the default source control provider, and runs with MS SQL Server 2000 as the code repository.  It's a .Net app itself so it plays nicely with vs.net (though with vs.net 2002 you need an extra patch). 

To date it hasn't munched our code, and we've moved the source database around several times to different servers and it's been no more difficult than a standard DB backup/restore operation under SQL Server.

I have little source control experience to compare it to other than hearing lots of horror stories about Visual SourceSafe and watching a development team one of my employers outsourced too grip about it weekly.  But it has worked well for us. 

Pricing is reasonable.

http://www.sourcegear.com

Disclaimer: I don't work for them in any capacity... Your milage may vary.

Scott Mayfield
Friday, August 27, 2004

"Anyway, having gotten thoroughly pissed off with that I then tried to amuse myself with a game of Solitaire...

But I couldn't win the bloody thing. Doh! Another flawed Microsoft product, serving me a game I couldn't win..."

Gwyn, smoothly done:-)

SC
Friday, August 27, 2004

I generally avoid the SCC integration. With CVS and TortoiseCVS it's pretty seamless anyway; just edit in VS, then use explorer for updates or checkouts.

Chris Tavares
Friday, August 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home