Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Need info on Mideast Internet usage

Hello,
I'm looking for sites that deal with web- statistics. I specifically need info on Internet usage in the Middle East. I've tried google, but it has come up with very little. For my academic paper, I need stats of gender, age groups etc you know the rest.
Could someone please direct me to a good source on the net. It would be much appreciated.

Angelina White
Thursday, August 26, 2004

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Mideast+Internet+usage

Matthew Lock

Check the very first hit

Matthew Lock

I don't understand all you penises who absolutely must smugly post a Google query in response to a perfectly valid question.  The poster stated that her Google results were not helpful.  Perhaps she's looking for a personal recommendation by someone who has USED such a service?  For shame, I see how you could be upset with her about that...

::rolls eyes::

muppet

Why would she think we know anything about Middle East 'net usage, muppet?

Maybe there's posters from the Middle East, here.  There are certainly a number of talented developers who may have had similiar needs.  Why does anybody ask this group anything?

muppet

The Google link is five years out of date, and thus completely useless.

I've not got the URL's and I'm in a hurry, but try PC Magazine Middle East for a start. The figures are published, but you would only get the age and gender breakdown from random surveys, which are not that easy to carry out. Try also, www.arabnews.com and search for Molouk Al-Isa who is their IT correspondent

Remember that in the poorer countries in the Middle East, and even in Saudi, a large amount of internet surfiing is from internet cafes. in fact there is one street in Yarmouk Jordan that has the greatest concentration of internet cafes in the world (around 200 at last count).

Stephen Jones

Muppet, and you wonder why the whole community is against you with posts like yours...here is a google query for ya--

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Awww.dictionary.com+tact

Check the first result.

anon-y-mous cow-ard

He was being a penis.  I called him on it.  Sorry.  If tact means acting tolerably to penises, then I can't accomodate you.

muppet

> Maybe there's posters from the Middle East

Probably so, but would they be more likely to have statistics on web usage in the middle east than anyone else?

Practical Guy, has a penis, unlike whiney muppet

Let's not nuke this thread; seeing as my country is spending some time there, it's important to understand what people are like in that part of the world. What forms of journalism can be reasonably expected in the future; the issues people face in daily/political life.

Tayssir John Gabbour

Besides, it takes one to see one.

muppet

OK, muppet, I'll take your stance and stop acting tactfully toward you. Good luck.

Muppet you really need to seek professional help about some of those issues you have.

Matthew Lock

What exactly did  muppet say that was wrong?. He was defending Angelinas request for information, she said google wasnt of much help, and yet Mathew goes and pastes a google link. If you looked carefully Mathew, you would see the first and relevant link that google threw up is dated back to 1998/99. That is useless info to any researcher who might be looking for contempary data.

Kermit the Frog
Friday, August 27, 2004

I came across these by googling for something completely different but they appear to be current 2004 figures
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats5.htm
http://www.internetworldstats.com/middle.htm
Contact me if you have any questions regarding their interpretation.

Stephen Jones
Friday, August 27, 2004

Not too long ago a researcher would do their own research and data collection rather than asking on a random forum for a  page with all the data collected already for them.

Matthew Lock
Friday, August 27, 2004

---I specifically need info on Internet usage in the Middle East.---

here is a link. They claim to be up to date as of  July 31, 2004.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats5.htm

-it's not the first link in google's list; it just shows that you have to rephrase your questions, sometimes;

Michael Moser
Friday, August 27, 2004

ups, now i see that somebody posted it before. never mind.

Michael Moser
Friday, August 27, 2004

The OP didn't do any searching on Google at all I think. If you search for "Middle east Internet usage" the very first result is "Middle East Internet Usage Stats and 2004 Population Statistics". Exactly what the OP wanted. I for one am tired of people not doing their own basic searches before asking questions here.

Matthew Lock
Friday, August 27, 2004

---------I for one am tired of people not doing their own basic searches before asking questions here.------

In that case, don't answer!

I am tired...
Friday, August 27, 2004

> Maybe there's posters from the Middle East, here.

Indeed. Maybe there are people from the Middle East hanging around at the local supermarket as well. The larger the proportion of the group is who are likely to be able to answer your question, the better chance you have of actually getting the right answer. If this was Joel On Software In Iraq she might have a point. I would say that getting geographically related information from a bunch of people whose locations range from Europe, through India, to the US and South America and a whole bunch of other places inbetween and round about isn't likely to be what you would call a "target rich environment".

Friday, August 27, 2004

The Google results have changed since she made the original query. As at least two people apart from the OP have pointed out the link that came top of Google was referring to 1998 figures.

Now why has the correct figure suddenly shot into the first page and then to the top. May I suggest that is because we are posting it on this page?

Stephen Jones
Friday, August 27, 2004

No it's because they searched on "mideast" rather than "middle east"

Matthew Lock
Friday, August 27, 2004

Yea, you're right, the mideast search still returns the 98 statistics.

But of course you also did that search originally, and it's quite possible the OP did as well.

Posting here seems perfectly reasonable. You have members from all over the world, and all of them work with computers.

She's not asking for her research to be already done. She just wants to know what is available, and to suggest a Google link, when the Google link is obviously quite useless, is not a very helpful option.

Stephen Jones
Friday, August 27, 2004

Thankyou Stephen, the stats links you have provided are quite helpful. Are there any good arab search engines you can recommend?, the arabnews.com really didnt provide  much, even using the journalists name. It would be more insightful to see the development of ecommerce in the Arab world. I see you've worked there, if you can give me your opinion on it, it would be of great assistance.
I've emailed several University professors in the region, asking some questions. I just emailed them today, so hopefully they'll reply sometime soon.

Angelina White
Friday, August 27, 2004

E-commerce is not developing in the Arab World and is not likely to any time soon. Lack of trust is the main thing.

On another tack, I am not sure I agree with the way you are conducting your "research". Cold Emailing a load of university professors and expecting them to spend time helping a post-graduate student at another university do their research does not seem like the best way to go about it. If a Saudi student fired off thirty emails to compu science professors at MIT, Carnegie Mellon and Berkely asking for info and leads on the development of the Internet in Ameirica I think he would get a few choice replies - and not the ones he would have bargained for.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Stephens Jones;

In that case, how does one goes for primary and secondary research on such topics !? (For a student)

It's me...
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home