Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Contingency Plans for Republican Convention

Anyone else affected by this?

What are your contingency plans?

Chill
Thursday, August 26, 2004

If I were there, I'd be taking the advice of Ted Rall.

:P

muppet

Some of my former coworkers are there, and they're going to a site in another state for the duration of the convention.

Rob VH

Most of my team is working from home.  There probably will not be an attack, but there definitely will be increased anxiety on the part of some family members worried that their spouse/parents are at risk. 

Furthermore, their commutes will be disrupted.

Since we can be productive in either place -- why not.

RW

Variosu organizations have talked about getting small amounts of gun powder and covering themselves in it in order to set off the bomb sniffing dogs on the subways.

I'd suggest not counting on mobility during that time.

KC

>> Variosu organizations have talked about getting small amounts of gun powder and covering themselves in it in order to set off the bomb sniffing dogs on the subways. <<

They'd better not be smokers.

example

Why, because bomb-sniffing dogs with a pack-a-day habit don't work as well? ;-)

Edward

Anyone who disrupts the subway with the suggested spoofing technique ought to be tossed in the slammer for about 30 days while the cops "sort things out".

Rob VH

If yelling fire in a crowded theatre is illegal, wouldn't setting off bomb-sniffing dogs be comparable?

KC

>If yelling fire in a crowded theatre is illegal, wouldn't setting off bomb-sniffing dogs be comparable?
All  you have to say is that you were at the gun range last night. The residue from firearm shooting will last quite some time.

Or, you were at your brother's house, and he reloads ammo.

Or, you can say that there was someone (you didn't see them) splashing some powder all over the place.

Or, your apartment building is real dusty lately, and you don't know why.

I am not condoning what the protesters are planning to do, but there isn't really anything that can legally be done to them. Other than maybe rubber hoses and throw them in jail, like at every other protest. The protesters would do more good for the world if they stayed home, but then I pretty much say that about every other convention/protest too. Even thinking back on the usefulness of all the protests/marches I went to.

But then, when I was younger, I used to get bent out of shape that stores using shoplifting detectors were accusing me (and everyone else) of shoplifting, so I deliberatly would carry around a bag of diodes (leads cut to different lengths to make dipoles) to set everyone off as I walked through/past them.

Peter

Anything with a pack-a-day habit doesn't work as well and stinks to boot.

trollop

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=62276

"Hayden, the co-founder of Students for Democratic Society, a left-wing group that splintered in the late '60s and early '70s, with one faction resorting to terrorism, is predicting between 100,000 and 1 million protesters will be in New York for the convention beginning Aug. 30."

Interesting. I really have to wonder why they chose NYC.

Poll: Most NYers support protests
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-bc-ny--convention-poll0826aug26,0,7508180.story?coll=ny-nynews-headlines
"Seventy-one percent of the city's registered voters think protesters should be allowed to demonstrate in Central Park during the Republican National Convention, and 11 percent plan to go to a demonstration themselves, according to a poll released Thursday."

If the protesters use terrorist tactics, I wonder if Bush will have to attack the United States for harboring Terrorists.

www.MarkTAW.com

The KKK intentionally encourages violent protestors at their parades, because that increases recruitment. This strategy is well-known, but they count on that sociopathic percentage of people who want any excuse to destroy public property.

But it won't matter here. Even if .01% of NYC protestors are violent, some journalists will focus completely on them. Articulate protestors are never covered because it's not sensational news. In fact, without the net, I can't imagine how there'd be any halfway decent news right now, whether you are conservative, liberal or other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership

Tayssir John Gabbour

Incidentally, since I'm talking about politics and people are quick to read things into what others say, I am not drawing a link between the KKK and these politicians. Just that I've seen this strategy up close from them. This bait strategy is not limited to them.

Tayssir John Gabbour

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home