Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do you know what I want?

There is more speculation about google over at kottke.org: this time, because of it's Javascript strength, he claims google is building a mozilla based browser ( http://www.kottke.org/04/08/the-google-browser ).

Well, that is fine and dandy, but you know what I want? I want google, with all it's PhDs and all it's technical firepower to grab the Mozilla source and make it trully crossplatform. Clean up that huge horrible mess (that forced Apple to base Safari on Konqueror instead of Mozilla) and make it understandable for the mere mortals.
Develop libraries that work on all major operating systems and a GUI framework that doesn't look like the result of a medieval battle.

Damn, that would be nice.

Ogami Itto
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

I really like Mozilla -- been using it for over 2 years. 
Firefox has it's good points, but it's got a ways to go.

But there are problems.  Not only is the the source code a bizaare, convoluted labrynth of confusion,  there is a severe lack of focus and direction. 

1  At one point, quite some time ago,  they said that Mozilla would be discontinued in favor of stand-alone browser and e-mail programs, but work on Mozilla continues.

2  Numerous name changes before finally settling on the really really stupid "Firefox".

3  Even though Mozilla and Firefox are built on the same code base, there are weird dis-continuities.  Cool and/or useful features in Firefox are not available in Mozilla, and vice versa.

In all fairness to the Mozilla folks, they've been all but abandoned by their owners, who continue to demonstrate that AOL executives are just as stupid and clueless as most AOL users.

Mozilla needs someone like Google to straighten them out and make it the killler app that it could potentially be.

pastor of muppets

I'm not even talking about the corporate side of things, I'm just talking about the technical side. The source code is a mess. I've been trying to understand it for some time, and it almost makes me cry.

Ogami Itto

"At one point, quite some time ago,  they said that Mozilla would be discontinued in favor of stand-alone browser and e-mail programs, but work on Mozilla continues."

When the standalone applications reach version 1.0 they will replace the Mozilla suite.  Development continues on both and on the common code they share in the mean time.  They have never stated differently.

"Numerous name changes before finally settling on the really really stupid "Firefox"."

Firefox is simply the "code name" for the browser while it's in development.  When it's finally released, it will be named the "Mozilla Browser".

Almost Anonymous

>>"Firefox is simply the "code name" for the browser while it's in development.  When it's finally released, it will be named the "Mozilla Browser"."

Oh really?  That's not what the Mozilla Organizations says:

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4278

"The new Firefox moniker is intended to be used as a permanent product name and a strong brand identity will be built around it. The new name was chosen after extensive international trademark searches and consultations with lawyers. The process of registering Firefox as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office began in December last year."

pastor of muppets

It better stay "Firefox". Them are some nifty little icons they've made for their application suite.

Ankur

Yeah that's what a bunch of PhDs want to do -- they want to fix somebody else's quagmire of a source base. ;)

Kalani
Thursday, August 26, 2004

Well, PhD's get payed like everyone else, so if someone inside google took an interest in Mozilla and gave the order to have that mess cleaned up, I bet them fancy PhD's would do it.

Ogami Itto

Google probably have the world's best statistics on who uses what platform - why would they waste their time developing pointless cross-platform code?

Mr Jack

No, I don't know what you want.

But I've just told you. And several other people explained it in different manners. Are you that dumb?

Ogami Itto

PhD's writing code?  That's the last thing anyone should want.

profound insights galore

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home