Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Infopath question

If I have Visual Studios and can program forms to save data, do I even need Infopath?  Infopath has been tickling my brain lately, in the same way tyat Groove did: New toy!  I'm trying to justify either buying it or deciding it's not worth the money (for me).

Can someone give me an example of how a developer might use it?  Or how you've used it as a developer?  Thanks!

Andrew Burton
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Infopath is not really meant to be a developer tool, although as it stands, only developers with significant XML-related skills can use it to its full potential.

Infopath is good for creating quick, "disposable" forms, which can be used for both online data entry, or entering offline data that can be saved on local storage before being "submitted" to a server process. As Infopath stores and manipulates data using XML technologies, it's easy to integrate Infopath forms into solutions which already make use of XML, such as Web Services, Microsoft Biztalk Server, or Microsoft SharePoint technologies.

Infopath does NOT replace Windows of Web forms. I would compare it to Microsoft Access forms, but its total use of XML technologies makes it somewhat harder to work with. Ironically, the same technologies make it easier to intergrate into larger solutions.

Raj Chaudhuri
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Doesn't the spellchecker make it a killer app?  Or are there some really good alternatives out there for your Windows Forms?  I can't imagine a good spell checker for Web Forms!  Unless this is integrated into the browser someday.

Scott
Thursday, August 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home