Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

hmmm

Working my way through a pile of resumes today, and I came across this snippet in a cover letter:

"As you may be aware, there are lots of Borland C++ programmers like me out there that have had no choice but to move to Microsoft.NET because Borland has been aquired by Microsoft."

When exactly did that happen? :)

Joe
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

A couple years ago. Bill Borland was hired by Microsoft. He's a tester in the PocketPC group.

Dutch Boyd

Perhaps the applicant was speaking a bit tongue in check.  Borland is really pushing .NET - I mean _really_ pushing it.

Mitch & Murray (from Downtown)

"Bill Borland was hired by Microsoft". Actually I thought it was Al Borland - in the tools group. :)

sgf

No, I think we're all tools.

KC

Oddly enough, there isn't anyone employed there with the last name of Borland. . .

Elephant

>>Working my way through a pile of resumes today...<<

Really, Does it mean Fog Creek Software is hiring? or is it just part of a monthly routine?

I'll email my resume in anyway, today:)

XZ

The poster doesn't work for Fog Creek.

Fog Creek is not hiring right now, although for a super-duper incredible person we might make an exception.

Right now I think we'll probably hire four summer interns next summer, and I wouldn't mind a full-time intern or co-op for the fall semester, either.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software

Thus speaketh Joel.

KC

Sorry if anyone assumed I was working for Fog Creek -- didn't mean to give that impression.

But I did decide to dig that applicant's resume out of the "toss" pile and give him the benefit of the doubt, in hopes that Mitch & Murray is interpreting his sense of humor better than I am...we'll see if he's actually delusional or not ;-)

Joe

Microsoft bought Ander Hjelsberg (Delphi, C#) and many other Borland minds over the years.

Scotts Valley can grow 'em and Redmond can pay 'em.

fool for python

It's completely my fault!

First time visitor, first time poster.  Up until yesterday, I was among these who deserved " peel onions for 6 months in a submarine".

Finally, I decided to change that status and started with a google for Unicode, which led me to "The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets".  I found it a brilliantly written article.  A few clicks away, I was pretty impressed by the author's way of unconventional thinking.  Naturally, I started cheating my boss by browsing away the rest of the day on this website, and started to fantasize that it could be a very beneficial experience working with this guy.  (Yes, I'm not so happily employed and I make little effort to hide that.)

And the rest is the history ...

xz

Hey, xz dude! You sound like an interesting guy. Where are you from? India?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Thursday, August 26, 2004

I know a few brilliant people from India, one of them is my mentor.  But no, I'm not from India, I'm Chinese.  To be precise, I'm a Chinese Chinese, not a Taiwanese Chinese.

Signing off!

xz

>> A couple years ago. Bill Borland was hired by Microsoft. He's a tester in the PocketPC group.

That brought back memories, but it wasn't Bill Borland - it was Frank Borland that was the mythical man behind Borland software. See http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20283,00.html for a little of the history.

Although it isn't mentioned on that page, I seem to remember an interview with Philippe Kahn where he said that he thought up Frank because most other PC software companies were named after the owner and people always asked where 'Mr. Borland' was...

RocketJeff

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home