Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Trouble with Verio's new spam filter?

We lease a simple virtual server for our domain from Verio for $25/mo.  During the dot-com boom Verio bought up a great many hosting companies, so Verio may well be hosting your site as well.  Generally we have been pleased - hosts a simple web site, email, etc., uptime nearly 100%, no real need for technical support, but when we do we get prompt helpful answers.

EXCEPT:

Verio very recently deployed a spam filter for all their hosted domains.  If an email message looks like it "might" be spam, [SPAM] is prepended to the subject line when delivered.  If the spam filter is "sure" it is spam, the message is bounced with "554 - denied" message back to the sender.

The problem is this is not optional - you cannot opt your domain out of the spam filter, and we are getting telephone calls from our customers, some of whom are overseas and are mightily pissed off, saying their emails are bouncing.  We have also noticed we are not getting the usual order and shipment confirmation emails from some of the online vendors we use, and I am guessing these are falling into the spam trap.

Communications with Verio technical support basically says "too bad".

Questions for this esteemed group:

(1) Anyone else using Verio and having this problem?

(2) How about a recommendation for a new domain host - all we need is a virtual server, dont' really care what it runs on, and not looking for the cheapest deal, just something that is simple, works well, and doesn't throw out our email.

The new Glengarry leads are coming in, and a big stack goes to those with helpful replies.

Mitch & Murray (from Downtown)
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Checkout http://www.powweb.com
FreeBSD hosting with 1GB storage & 5Gb/day transfer for $7.77/month

I host a domain through them and haven't had any real problems.

OTOH, you might want to leave your web hosting where it is and just move your email hosting to a dedicated email host (like http://www.everyone.net/ - not a recommendation - I don't use them, it was the first one I remembered)

RocketJeff

Co-hosting?

At least you would be in control.

Stephen Jones

You said that you were leasing a "virtual server" from Verio. The big guns like Verio and Interland price actual virtual servers well above $25/mo. My last client had a virtual FreeBSD server, a complete instance of BSD, from Interland, and paid $130/mo. My guess is that you have an ordinary shared hosting account.

I would recommend looking into a virtual private server, such as www.rimuhosting.com or www.johnscompanies.com. The cost will be $20 to $65 a month and most important, will allow you to run your own mail server and set up spam filters any way that you prefer.

A "VPS" is your own instance of Linux or Unix on a shared server. Storage is generally around 2-4 gig for even low end accounts and bandwidth allowance is 15-40 gig or so per month.

Get that Cadillac warmed up. I think I am due more than the set of steak knives.

Bored Bystander

PS: dealing with Interland on that project was a PITA. The big web hosting providers treat everything legalistically. They want you to submit trouble tickets for any issue, and they won' t do one thing more than their TOS "permits".

I prefer to stick with smaller, hungry, but well run providers. They want to retain their customers so the best ones will bend over backwards to do what it takes.

Bored Bystander

I like sonic.net. They are forthright about any technical problems, unlike most places. Their tech support people have IQs.

Their spam filtering is much more flexible.

Only problem - they are headquarted in Santa Rosa, about 60 miles north of San Francisco. That means if you co-locate they are far away.

grape picking webmaster

BB:

Correct, we do have an el-cheapo shared hosting account.  My mistake.

I'll send Ricky Roma out with you tonight on your sits.  He'll show you a few tricks to get them to "sign on the line that is dotted".

http://www.pair.com/

been rock solid for me since... since I had a domain name in 1999. One of my friends just migrated to PowWeb.

If you want to go dedicated & unmanaged https://www.servermatrix.com/ has some great prices, but everone I know uses http://www.ev1servers.net/ . Though I think the only reason they're very new.

www.MarkTAW.com

You might get more responses if your subject was:

"Wanted: El Cheapo Shared Hosting"

www.MarkTAW.com

"The new Glengarry leads are coming in, and a big stack goes to those with helpful replies."

That was filmed in my native Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. I spent a lot of time on that train platform you see in all those rainy outdoor scenes.

www.MarkTAW.com

" You might get more responses if your subject was:

"Wanted: El Cheapo Shared Hosting" "

Thank you Mark for adding so much background to the other replies.  This really rounds out the information so far received.

I stated in my initial question that I was not looking for the cheapest deal.  Can't read today?

We use what works.  Fuck Us for that.

BTW, no leads for you!

I also have a Verio shared hosting website, and have noted missing out on quite a few legitimate emails since they've implemented their spam filtering policies. Many are legitimate emails from trade magazines and newsletters. I've also been frutrated that their tech support says we have no choice in the matter, the filtering is done system wide.  Today I received an email from their tech support that they are finally working on a offering us a white list. Seems to me they should offer that before they start bouncing our emails for us. It's been over 3 weeks now since they started the filtering.

I'm tired of their policies, and am looking to move my website also.

Bob Paleczny
Friday, August 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home