Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Mystery of SaudiBinLadengroup.com

I just watched a documentary on Australia's ABC network, entitled "Dynasty of Terror. It basically documents all of the Bin Laden family network, billion dollar construction company etc.
Some American guy on the film who bought the domain name saudibinladengroup.com claims that this domain name expired on that tragic day of Sept 11 2001. And thus he bought it after its expiry. Even if you go to the website www.saudibinladengroup.com ,,,he makes  the claim and puts forth "evidence". Now I went to godaddy.com, and it says the creation of the domain was made on 16th October 2003. Also archive.org has no record of that domain/website existing prior to 2003.
I made a double check, and the real domain of the Saudi Bin Laden Group is actually http://www.sbg.com.sa ,,and has been so since 2000.
The basis of this guy's claim is that the hijackers were using the domain and website to communicate hidden messages, encryptian etc..
So is the domain holder of saudibinladengroup.com just another conspiracy theorist?, as he was given a prominent voice on this damn interesting and credible documentary. Is there a way to verify if a domain name existed prior to 911?. And the fact that it did at one stage expire on 911?.

Mark D.
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Look at that page more closely.  The domain in question is saudi-binladin-group.com, with dashes and the less-common spelling of bin Laden/Ladin.  Archive.org has records going back to 2000.

Kevin

If I was going to pass encrypted messages to terrorists I'd try to choose somewhere a little less obvious, or is it supposed to be a double bluff?

Konrad

Ok, so the website existed as far back as May 2000. Ok, this is getting a little bit freakier. I don't know if its expiry on 911 is a coincidence, if it actually expired on that date all. So far there is no way I can tell.

Mark D.

"Stupid Bin Ladin is using his eponyme web site to pass encrypted messages." Ha Ha Ha (laugh 1)

"Smart CIA was unable to track stupid Bin Laden." Ha Ha Ha (laugh 2)

Come on Mark, those assertions are for average under educated Joe, they aren't meant for the talented programmer you are.

muPPet

Uh... If I was trying to pass messages covertly to a group of individuals, I'd encrypt the message (preferably only a few k), use stego to add it to an image, and then post it on ebay.

I most certainly wouldn't connect it to my own name.

KC

What's the big deal?

Bin Laden never made any secret of his desire to attack the US. They use the internet to commmunicate all the time; whether they used this web site or some other means is not important.

Anony Coward

They are probably using JoS to pass messages to one another under the disguise of threads about outsourcing. Obviously for the safety of the entire world Joel should ban such threads.

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Blank, your an idiot.

Jake

Next time, check with mossad, they love it when terrorists attack (assuming mossad doesn't carry it out themselves). Its usually a boom time for them.

Gerald

Fnord.

Bow Down, Meat Puppets!

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home