Discussion Board

Today (Aug.24) is the 10th anniversary

of the Blue Screen of Death  aka Windows 95

pastor of muppets
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

http://www.globalseek.net/ToDaY/AuGuST/august24.html

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Are you sure? If I remember correctly Windows 95 wasn't officially launched until 1995, which would make this the 9th anniversary. Unless you count the beta versions, of course.

Cow Orker
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What the heck, we are programmers, off-by-one is probably the most common error we make.

Peter
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

>> "What the heck, we are programmers, off-by-one is probably the most common error we make. "

Oh good.  Now we're going to have the old flame war about 0 or 1 based arrays.

anon
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"The Blue Screen of Death" first appeared in Windows NT (not sure if 3.51 or 4.0, though) years ahead of Windows 95.

Windows 3.1 had the infamous General Protection Fault that happened, oh, so often.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

And in Windows 3.0, of course, we had the Unrecoverable Application Error, known by everyone as the UAE.

In those days viruses weren't a big problem because your PC would crash itself every few hours anyway.

That makes me wonder what would happen if you connect a Windows for Workgroups 3.11 box directly to the net. Are there any exploits for these machines still out in the wild?

Cow Orker
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Viruses WERE a problem back in Win3.1 and DOS 5.x days, but they were transferred via floppies. 

Bob
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Some viruses are transferred via sexual intercourse.

"Viruses WERE a problem back in Win3.1 and DOS 5.x days, but they were transferred via floppies. "

Yep, and the most virus laden platform of all at that time was the Mac.

Just me (Sir to you)

"And in Windows 3.0, of course, we had the Unrecoverable Application Error, known by everyone as the UAE."

Eh?

http://www.freiburg.linux.de/~uae/

Martin A. Bøgelund

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home