Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

simplest implementation of lambda calculus on C++

I badly need the subj to start from, google was not of much help. In fact I remember one such implementation on Java and C, but couldn't find it again.

thanks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Wow, I am usually not one of those "do your homework guys", but this is just blatantly obvious.

Roose
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Wait! let me go find the solution in the frat test/assignment bank....

Yo
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Something about the fact that it's late August (i.e., summer break) and the subject is lambda calculus, I doubt this guy is seeking homework help.

OP, have you tried the Boost libraries?
http://www.boost.org/libs/lambda/doc/

Yet another anon
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

End of August is also end of summer term and when term projects are due.

Bob
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I'm at Pitt, and our third trimester is just ending.

anon
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Another clue is that the question is so poorly formed.  I could think of several different things he means by this.

He probably just read the assignment and had no clue what it means, and then posted the first line of the question, without even giving the rest of the assignment that actually *specifies* the problem.

It would be hard to think of a situation where you would need this outside of an academic one.  Lambda calculus is not something that would *ever* come up in work.  It is pure theory.

Roose
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What is lambda calculus?

The only place I've seen a lambda in math was in eigenvalue problems.

Peter Monsson
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What is lambda calculus?

Lambda calculus is pure evil. No, it is pure evil distilled into an even purer form.

It's stuff you learn at uni as part of a CompSci degree. Then you never consider it again.

Except for the occasional circus freak programmer who insists that if we all programmed using lambda calculus we would be...oh, let's say 100 times more productive, bugs would go away, budgets would be met, Elvis would come alive again, and all wars and disharmony would stop.

Herr Herr
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Well, if they didn't name the damn thing "lambda calculus"... I mean, it's "stupid function tricks." In fact, I believe it was supposed to be the "hat calculus," because the inventor wanted to use the little ^ instead of lambda, but for some typesetting reason lambda was used. Caret calculus would've been a lot less forbidding than this obscure geek symbol.

Don't get me started on those thinking mathematics is some holy grail of programming. Programming is applied philosophy; we model things, we sometimes wonder what "is" is. And sometimes we use mathematics, just as we use various concepts, but in the same sense I use physics when I walk down the street.

Tayssir John Gabbour
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home