Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Gopher

Being a University of Minnesota alum, I just wanted to find out from the diverse audience here if any of you used Gopher back in the day.

Although it was not graphical (if I remember correctly) was there any advantage to it versus the World Wide Web?

Thanks.

Yoey
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I used it...of course it pre-dated the WWW.  Since it was text-based; I remember it (in retrospect) being just as fast on a 9600 baud connect as current search engines are with my 3Mbs cable connection.

Yo
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I believe back in the day my old university had some gopher gateway to the library catalog. If I remember correctly all gopher systems were almost immediately swiftly abandoned with the arrival of http/html

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

OS/2 Warp Internet Access Kit had a really nice graphical Gopher client. I remember it was more naturally compared to FTP than WWW. Still I preferred it for some time for browsing documentation archives or something. BTW, does anyone remember archie? ;)

Egor
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yep, gopher, archie, and its competitor, veronica. I am glad that they have all been replaced with html/www.

Peter
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I used it.

Eric Sink
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yes -- back in the "university years" (1990-1994) used it heavily.

Haven't seen it since 1995 though.

Sgt. Sausage
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I remember using gopher to browse what reminds me now of Project Gutenberg in 1991 or so, through some Compuserve built-in tool.  That was where I first read the Magna Carta, so I was plenty happy with gopher at the time. :-)

(I don't really know the history of Gutenberg, so maybe it really was around and had a gopher front end back then.)

Regards,

Chas Emerick

Snowtide Informatics : http://www.snowtide.com
PDFTextStream: High Performance PDF Text Extraction Java Library

Chas Emerick
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yo, Chas. You're sig is highly annoying. Tone it down or remove it please!

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yes, do us all a favor, Chas.

Egor
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Yeah Chas.  How dare you take up 3 extra lines of text on this forum that everybody has to pay by the character for...

...wait.

muppet
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What's wrong with Chas' sig?

Mark
--
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I live to appease.  Sorry if I'm not clever enough to engage in schoolyard banter.

Chas Emerick ( http://www.snowtide.com )
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I regret not playing with this more while it was around.

Now I can't reminisce.... :(

I am Jack's kermit protocol download
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"I am Jack's kermit protocol download"

That nake is awesome.

Oh, and for the record I used Gopher circa 1995 when my girlfriend was in college and it was the default system there for finding certain kinds of information.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

kermit...owww...god, that's painful just to remember.

Aaron F Stanton
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Used it.  I do recall that Compuserv had a nice tool for it.  I vaguely remember Veronica.  I want to say that I used it mostly with my GNN subscription.  You guys remember GNN, don't you?

zigzag
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

It was recently in the news that kermit is still being used to transfer data to/from the International Space Station. Amazing.

mvh
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I used Gopher briefly in the fall of 1993.  I tried it once or twice.  I remember getting a listing of all the Beavis and Butt-head episodes to date.

I came away with the impression that Gopher was a huge pain in the butt, and that the Internet was a passing fad (at least as far as the general public was concerned).

J. D. Trollinger
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

well, kermit is probably still the best protocol for data connections with certain characteristics.  (perhaps high latency, moderate error rate?)

wouldn't be surprised if zmodem is still best for clean data connections too.

anyone remember the gateways which predate gopher? things like services @ wugate?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=27pr3mINNf0h%40uwm.edu

mb

Kermit sucks because it transmits data by small blocks of a constant size (usually 64 bytes, I think).  The main advancement in newer protocols like ZModem was the variable block size, dynamically adapting to characteristics of the connection. I recently tried Kermit for uploading on a really bad dial-up and the performance compared to ZModem was just awful.

Egor

Yup. Archie was the puppies bits.

I used Gopher too, back in 1994. And I used Mosaic to access gopher sites : there were so few HTTP sites with content that Mosaic would have been useless, without the gopher sites.
I had no idea what a protocol was at the time, anyway.

Pakter

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home