Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Expedia? No...CRAPedia

Hehehe...sorry, I'm late, and it's tired.

But seriously...check out the expedia site: http://www.expedia.com.

Find a page with depart/return dates. Now, they really expect us to sit there and type in the values?

Wait, I'm using firefox. Maybe I should try using IE. Funny, that works a lot better. Handly little calendar pops up.

I'm using Firefox 0.8, that should be recent enough, I think. Remind me again, who owns Expedia???

No, I know almost nothing about HTML/Javascript/whatever, and have no idea why it works differently in Firefox, but I am curious what the reason is. Some ActiveX thing?

Tim
Monday, August 23, 2004

Probably a javascript thing.

But just be glad the site WORKS in FireFox, even if it's a little bit more difficult to use.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, August 23, 2004

Well, the site works, but it's still telling me there's no 4-star hotels available in the caribbean for the entire month of January ;-)

Tim
Monday, August 23, 2004

InterActiveCorp (Barry Diller) owns Expedia. And TicketMaster. And HotWire. And Hotels.com. And Evite. And the Home Shopping Network. And so on.

mb
Monday, August 23, 2004

I think that Tim was referring to the stake that Microsoft had/has in Expedia.  I know that they were one of the original investors, although the stakeholder list for Expedia grew significantly around the time that Orbitz coalesced, if I remember correctly.  Whether or not Microsoft is still a stakeholder, many people still recognize the history there.

Regards,

Chas Emerick

Snowtide Informatics : http://www.snowtide.com
PDFTextStream: High Performance PDF Text Extraction Java Library

Chas Emerick
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Expedia is owned (completely) by USA Interactive.

Microsoft has nothing to do with anymore and hasn't for over a year now.

Which makes the original poster here a real dumbfuck.

Mr. Fancypants
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Geeee...I wasn't being too serious. I just thought it bizarre that a travel site which requires two dates for every single query would have such a poor interface.

I guess tongue-in-cheek doesn't show well on forums.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not a dumbf***.

Tim
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

What i want to know is - what is a snowtide

Crackhead
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"Microsoft has nothing to do with anymore and hasn't for over a year now."

While Microsoft sold off the property, they did design and implement it, so I don't think it's too far of a reach to be cynical that the original Microsoft ownership has some residual impact on the site (it's like saying that Edward Munch has nothing to do with "Scream").

Indeed I just took a look at it, and the site is largely similar to when Microsoft ran the show (through 2002 and retaining a minority position until sometime in 2003).

http://web.archive.org/web/*/expedia.com

Dennis Forbes
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I used Expedia exactly once. I was looking for a cheap flight at short notice. My human agant hadn't found a direct one, but Expedia showed one at a good price. I click to book it; they asked for name, address phone number, a whole load of stuff. Finally they asked for credit card info, which I gave and pressed the button. What does the site do? Tell me my chosen flight is not available, would I like to choose another?

It may have been a coincidence, and the availability changed in the ten minutes I spent filling in their forms. Or alternatively they may have wasted ten minutes of my time, and extracted my email, credit card details and other personal information under false pretences. Either way I'm not using them again. If it was coincidence then they are just unlucky.

David Clayworth
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"Chas Emerick

Snowtide Informatics : http://www.snowtide.com
PDFTextStream: High Performance PDF Text Extraction Java Library "

WTF is that? Is that a sig? That thing is long enough to be a post!

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

looks like "snort wide" to me every time i see it...

and yes, i know the history of expedia. which probably explains why it works the way it does. many many sites have bad calendar controls, expedia is just one of them...

thankfully hotmail works better in firefox, because they switched over to incrediably slow HTML dialogs in IE, instead of a simple 'confirm' messagebox.

mb
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Well, if we are into conspiracy theores, whose going to explain why it is impossible to sign up to Gmail with Netscape 7.0 because it will never connect. Paste the URL into IE6 and hey presto, the page comes up!

Stephen Jones
Thursday, August 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home