Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IDE problem .NET Web Control

I have an app that makes extensive use of the microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols.multipage control.

Within VS.NET I open this page and I must use bring to front/send to back to 'flip' through the multiple pages.

My problem is that I can find no way to edit specific controls within a page of the multipage control. I cannot move them, I cannot resize them, I can't even select them. I have to edit the HTML directly. I CAN do that, but it is a hassle when all I want to do is move something a tad to the left etc....

Currently, if I have to do a lot of rearranging or anything of the controls I have opened the page using Web Matrix (MS). This doesn't recognize the multipage at all, instead, it shows EVERY control used anywhere within the multipage control which can be equally frustrating at times.

How do you deal with this?

On second thought, how do you deal with this other than general shunning of all MS products?

I am Jack's frustration
Monday, August 23, 2004

Its an unsupported control, developed a while ago, rather quickly, for people that couldn't do it themselves.  Search the NGs, and resign yourself to the fact that it might just be a bug.

How do *I* deal with it?  Well, I develop my own solutions for these sorts of things (well, developED, long ago)

I am Jack's reading of the big red "unsupported" warnings
Monday, August 23, 2004

What about encapsulating each 'page' of the multipage control in an ASCX file?  That way when you want to edit something, you just edit the .ascx web control and you hardly ever have to touch the main page.

Monday, August 23, 2004

Hmm, I'll look into that. I haven't messed with ASCX before, or if I did, I didn't realize it.

I am Jack's frustration
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Oh, and _I_ didn't use this control :P

There isn't really any reason to use it that I can think of. I believe the contractor either wanted to play with a new toy or had an intense frame-o-phobia.

I am Jack's afterthought
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home