Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Making HTML sing

Has anyone tried out Flickr for sharing photos ?

Man, they make HTML sing !  Love the Longhorn-ish photo thumbnail viewer (Organizr) which makes the thumbnail bigger as you move your mouse over them...

Kent
Monday, August 23, 2004

Somebody turf this astro

WildThing, you make my ass tired.
Monday, August 23, 2004

My vote goes for Gmail, in this category. I haven't seen any other web app, which is simple yet so powerful. They make JavaScript sing :)

Anon
Monday, August 23, 2004

Yes, Gmail sings as well.

If you like Blogs, then Bloglines works well.

Kent
Monday, August 23, 2004

Kent,

Any chance of a url?

Ged Byrne
Monday, August 23, 2004

I clicked on the link from Scoble's blog the other day and from what I saw Flickr and their Organizr apps are both completely Flash, so have little to do with html.

--Josh

JWA
Monday, August 23, 2004

I don't feel like signing up to actually look, but on second glance it does look like the Flickr photo sharing portion downgrades to straight html but the orgranizr is all Flash.

Either way it does look to be well done.

JWA
Monday, August 23, 2004

The URL is http://www.flickr.com/

As Josh mentioned, part of it is done in Flash but it is so well done.

If you poke around a little you will see flashes of "ah-a - that's such a good idea..."

At least I did.

Kent
Monday, August 23, 2004

Hmmm, I haven't had a chance to really investigate it closely, yet, but a brief look suggests quite a few similarities with Telastra (www.telastra.net). I wrote most of the code for Telastra, which explains why it's IE-specific (I'm HTML-challenged, so naturally I managed to screw up on compatibility).

Ron Porter
Monday, August 23, 2004

What should it sing? The sites are alive with the sound of music?

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home