Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Tape Backup Software

Following on from a thread a while ago about tape backups, does anyone have any recommendations for backup software?  I'm not really interested in the pros and cons of tape backups in general, just the best way to get them done! I've not really handled this before, so i'm a blank canvas when it comes to your recommendations. Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Andrew Cherry
Monday, August 23, 2004

I've found retrospect to be very reliable

just an idea ?
Monday, August 23, 2004

BakBone NetVault

-
Monday, August 23, 2004

Retrospect is good.

My preferred solution: network backup to a Linux server then mt/tar to tape. It provides an extra level of redundancy to the backup and means that I have everything on a non-Windows OS.

_
Monday, August 23, 2004

I've seen announced (don't remember how or its name) a device for backup that is only a pc with hard disk, network card and some simple linux OS. this device sells as integrated and ready to run backup with integrated backup/restore software.

(if this is not a real device maybe only an idea for develop?)

Guillermo
Monday, August 23, 2004

I used to like Retrospect, and then encountered a problem that their support couldn't fix (backups randomly stopping).  Then they switched to paid support, so we went to BackupExec, which is somewhat better.  However, for non-enterprise solutions, it seems that there is a hole in the middle pf the market (at least to me).

Rich
Monday, August 23, 2004

Don't buy CA. Spent nearly $6000 on their BrightStor software for Windows and Linux.

Had that chucklefest running for a few months when suddenly the Linux clients stopped responding and then the Windows server decided that it would only recognize one tape drive in my autoloader.

Dropped that rock soon after and have moved to nightly snapshots using rsync and haven't looked back.

At least CA was cheaper than Veritas.

Chuckles
Monday, August 23, 2004

We use Veritas BackupExec, probably the most expensive option but it works well.

James U-S
Monday, August 23, 2004

Tivoli from IBM - expensive but does the stuff

Glasgow Rangers
Monday, August 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home