Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

sticky buttons

Would it be hard to implement (in MS-Win) buttons that stick to your mouse pointer when your mouse pointer gets very close to them?  Kinda like Winamp window sticking to the sides when you get really close to the side... The buttons I am talking about are any one of them you see on dialog boxes like "Cancel", "OK", or "X" that you use to close the window, etc...

I sometimes find it hard to point and click on my laptop at the 1280x1024 resolution. I've never been good with the built-in mouse contoller thingies and attaching a mouse is not always a viable option (space limitation).

Of course you should be able to turn this feature off if it annoys you...

So would it be hard to add it? Where do I begin?  :)

Improve
Monday, August 23, 2004

Easy? If I understand correctly go to mouse properties in control panel and "enable"  "Smart Move".  On mine it is under the "motion" tab.

Anonanonanon
Monday, August 23, 2004

I don't have "Smart Move" anywhere in my Mouse settings...

Improve
Monday, August 23, 2004

Maybe  Anonanonanon  means the "snap to" option? Not exactly what you're looking for--in fact it seems fairly annoying to me.

Michael Eisenberg
Monday, August 23, 2004

Some mouse drivers used to have a capability like this. The only similar feature I see in my current Intellimouse driver is "snap to default button in dialog box". That may not be as flexible as you are describing.

What about keyboard shortcuts? Enter and Esc do wonders for me. You can usually close windows with Ctrl-W and entire applications with Alt-F4.

John C.
Monday, August 23, 2004

I think there was something in Powertoys once... Maybe something like "Behave lixe X Windows" or something like that?

Senile old git
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home