Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How to view existing Cron jobs?

How can I view existing cron jobs?

This is bugging me as a server I hereited occationally does quirky things - searches in google did not lead to an answer.

Thanks,

Petra

Petra
Sunday, August 22, 2004

cat crontab ?

mb
Sunday, August 22, 2004

man crontab

then, depending on what you're wrestling, possibly

crontab -l

to list the table (and that's a lowercase L)

trollop
Sunday, August 22, 2004

"searches in google did not lead to an answer"

Watch it become another meaningless polite figure of speech. She tried hard, but couldn't find a crontab manpage on Google, my ass.

Egor
Monday, August 23, 2004

I've entered the _exact_ title of this thread into google and got 20,900 replies, the _second_ one being:

--------------------
All About CRON Jobs
... Once this is done, you are all set to run a cron job. ... Crontab -l, ---
to list and view the content of existing cronfile. ...
www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter/cron.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

----------------------

Do I have a different Google than you?

Kobi
Monday, August 23, 2004

20,900 answers are only useful if they answer the question and you are willing to look at all 20,900.  crontab -l only works if you are signed in as the person who created the cron entries (or root).

look at /var/spool/cron and it will show who has a crontab that can have entries.  You can then look for those entries and see what is running.  Here is a good reference page for what I think you want:
http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds1/cronadm.htm

Anonanonanon
Monday, August 23, 2004

Actually I'm not even sure what you mean. I'd view existing crons with a suspicious eye for sure.

And isn't this great. You inherit a server with no documentation. Is it just not absolutely amazing that people can just throw shit in the closed and no one asks for an accounting??

I too inherited a bunch of servers. What a mess. I'm slowly documenting the whole kit and kaboodle in a wiki. Each box get's an entry where I show all crons, why they exist, what they do etc.

Were you on a linux box (most distros use the same I reckon) you can look in /var/spool/cron where it will list every user who has a cronfile.

They ought to be documented, right. I love the use of brain dead shell scripts as cron jobs. Is there a better language than Perl for cron jobs?

me
Monday, August 23, 2004

Yes.

Write it in C and lose the source code.  Also give it a cryptic name like aa.exe.

Jonathan Briggs
Monday, August 23, 2004

To those who are suggesting that the OP look in /var/spool/crontab: on a sensibly configured system, that won't be readable by non-root users. If ordinary users can view each other's crontabs, something is wrong.

crontab -l is the most portable way to get at a user's crontab.

Anomalous Blowhard
Monday, August 23, 2004

I don't know.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Dont use crontab.  It is not bulletproof.

Use something like AutoSys
http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=253

Bella
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home