Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Practice of Programming BOOK - Kernighan/Pike

Does this book is still worth reading today :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/020161586X/qid=1093196256/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-6720471-5107238

Other question, is there a FAQ or thread here about the MUST READ BOOK LIST teaching how to design better more reliable code ?

I've already been advised the Pragamatic programmer.

Apex
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Look into Code Complete 2 for a comprehensive and sound treatment of software construction. Ten years from now you will still learn things from this book.

anon
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Code Complete 2 is already on my Amazon.com Wish List ;-)

Apex
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Code Incomplete

Sunday, August 22, 2004

I'd add "Object Oriented Software Construction" to any such list:

http:\\www.amazon.com\exec\obidos\asin\0136290493

another recommendation
Sunday, August 22, 2004

> Is there a FAQ

Yes, Joel has a list of books.

> or thread here about the MUST READ BOOK LIST teaching how to design better more reliable code ?

Yes, there are over 38 threads that have discussed best books for programming. There is a new service from a company named google that will actually enable you to SEARCH for these threads effortlessly - no more manual searching one message at a time.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, August 22, 2004

And yes, The Practice of Programming is a classic that is relevant and worth reading.

Dennis Atkins
Sunday, August 22, 2004

A while ago i started adding books refrenced on threads here to an Amazon wish list. Look up the wish list for "jos-amazon". Just don't buy books for that fictional account!
A number of them match Joel's list. I haven't kept it up to date at all. If anyone wants, they can add to it too, though i'll have to figure out what the password is.

wish list
Sunday, August 22, 2004

>>There is a new service from a company named google that will actually enable you to SEARCH for these threads effortlessly - no more manual searching one message at a time.<<

I thought one of the points of the crappy, eh rudimentary, ui on this forum was to have threads pop up again every once in a while, even though they've already been covered.

-tim

a2800276
Monday, August 23, 2004

So do old topics die or can they be viewed. I'd be interested in seeing the most commented on Topics and not just the most recent..

din0saur
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

... then what is the "search option" on the left for?
i've tried to use it but never got what I wanted.

Throwaway
Thursday, August 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home