Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Looking for JOS reader in central NJ

I'm in a bit of a pickle.  I've been programming at night for a while now, hoping to eventually find customers, partners, money, and all of the rest of the necessary parts of running a business. 

A couple of weeks ago, I quit my day job even though I had not yet landed a customer.  Now, I realize that I still don't have anywhere near enough time.  Once that I started calling around on business seriously, I never seem to have any time for programming.  And I'm on the hook for making a product N-O-W.

The business idea behind the software seems to have legs.  It can help 1500 companies across the country make millions more per year.  I've got can't-believe-my-eyes-amazing people lined up for sales, finance, and client services.  Some good established partners that sell complementary software in the same market are interested in working together.  And some good links to getting VC money.

I've got a third meeting with a multi-billion beta client (paying, if they sign on) on Thursday (this time, an online demo) and an extremely tight schedule for both the beta product and launch date.  On the other hand, I've spec'ed out the UI pretty well and was blowing through programming before business started taking precedence. 

I'm looking for someone who is proficient in VB6, cares a lot about good user interface, and Gets Things Done.  If you are a regular JOS reader, you've already impressed me as being concerned with many of the same issues that I am.  And chances are, you're far more technically proficient than I am (I'm a business guy with some software knowledge).  It wouldn't hurt if you know something about statistics and linear programming, but I'm far more interested in a flexible mind. 

Finally, I'm looking for someone who not only works hard, but has a great personality.  So far, the others involved in this company are literally people that I would trust to raise my daughters if I died in a car crash.  I don't expect the same level of trust with a stranger, but I do expect complete integrity, focus on the customer, as well as teamwork with sales, customer support, testing, etc.

I need someone to crank away immediately and get the product to launch.  You will interface with an external testing firm that I've worked with in the past.  After launch, the position becomes more of a CTO role - converting from technical development run by a conscientious but overwhelmed founder into an organization that can deal with customer requests, features cut out of version 1, and planned product extensions.  I aim to treat developers the same way that Joel does - private offices, good development practices, etc.

Minuses:

- business plan has had so many holes knocked into by reality that I won't share it until it is reworked.

- everything is currently being funded out of my not-too-deep pockets.

- Some important software practices recommended by JoS are not being implemented yet. 

Interested?  Send me a resume and contact info.

Sorry if this is an inappropriate use of this forum - as I said, I'm in a crunch.

bankstrong
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Is this a joke?

muppet
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sounds interesting.  Best of luck.

Ethan Herdrick
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Muppet -

This isn't a joke - I have a real need and I'm hopeful that I might get lucky.  There are a lot of high-quality posters here and anything has to be better than getting flooded by Dice resumes.

Mike

bankstrong
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Good luck to you.  This is the kind of stuff I don't have the cajones for.  I hope you make it to the top of your pile!

BTW: I would expect that a new idea like yours would be severely behind the Joel best practices curve.

hoser
Sunday, August 22, 2004

i don't get why you would n't do it right from the beginning? this may be your only chance. before you know it you will have customers demanding things.

a project is good, until you have clients.

Patrick
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Hoser -

"I would expect that a new idea like yours would be severely behind the Joel best practices curve. "

Your guess is correct.  That isn't by design.  I would like to find someone that will gradually move to best practices once they get a chance to take a deep breath.

Patrick -

"a project is good, until you have clients. "

From a purely technology pov, sure.  From my perspective, a project is only good once that someone is using (and paying for) it. 

Mike

bankstrong
Sunday, August 22, 2004

bankstrong,

I believe Mr. Bored Bystander is the guy you are looking
for. Talk to him :)

http://www.it-proletariat.com/RemoteWorkWithTest.html

Patrik
Monday, August 23, 2004

Patrik -

"I believe Mr. Bored Bystander is the guy you are looking
for. Talk to him :)

http://www.it-proletariat.com/RemoteWorkWithTest.html "

Fascinating. 

If you think that you're going to get spun around, don't bother. 

On the other hand, I've got a real business, with a real office, real partners, and a real need.  Some people here (Mr. Analogy?) know me slightly in the real world.

Mike

Bankstrong
Monday, August 23, 2004

You've got the best kind of problem, dude.

If you can't find the right guy, keep the best client and fire the other until you can get the first one satisfied.

I can't help with the talent search as the only people I know in NJ are scientists and tech writers.

Miles Archer
Monday, August 23, 2004

Wow, sounds like a great opportunity!  If you haven't been contacted by several top guns, I'm disappointed in JOS.  I'm busy on a big project for a client and a personal project that I don't have time to finish, and I'm still tempted to get involved.  Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

Hockey Player
Monday, August 23, 2004

Miles -

"I can't help with the talent search as the only people I know in NJ are scientists and tech writers. "

This isn't my immediate pain, but leads on good local tech writers are appreciated.

Mike

Bankstrong
Monday, August 23, 2004

I'm in Essex County, NJ.  I'm working right now, but depending on the nature of the work I might be able to find somebody to help you.  Send me an email with some details about the nature of the project and I'll try to find somebody.

Kalani
Monday, August 23, 2004

Bankstrong,

I quite fit the description you've given - VB 6, Gets Things Done (tm). I'd have loved to help, if it was not for the Microsoft obsession I have. I am not looking for any opportunity except from Microsoft, at the moment. If I hadn't known what a place Microsoft is to work at, I'd have been all over this thread. Besides, I am not in the US.

I wish you all the very best for your talent search.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Thank you all for the good wishes.

Mike

bankstrong
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home