Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Not-so-hypothetical a situation

Let's say you work on embedded systems for network infrastructure.  It's mostly maintenance of existing code where it's not unusual to debug a stack dump or have to break out a logic analyzer.

You also freelance in creating DB/web apps and have just been offered a full time job doing it in the gaming industry.  The pay might be a little less, but considering that it's in an industry that you've always loved and follow very closely, you think you could be happier there.

How much would you miss the low level, bits and bytes of real time systems programming vs. web apps and database stuff?  Is there a difference in the credibility of being a software engineer instead of a web developer?

somewhat conflicted
Sunday, August 22, 2004

I tried going from the low level stuff to web apps/database programming, and I absolutely hated it with a passion. I really don't want to do that again. I'd consider a career change before I did so, unless the job paid substantially more than I could get elsewhere..

sid
Sunday, August 22, 2004

I've done some low-level games stuff before and am now doing web development. Yeah it's not exactly gripping, but the work's relatively easy to find. And what's more you can outperform all the webdev monkeys quite easily in terms of time to complete stuff, if you use your hacker smarts to build good high-level / modular tools for the job, and abstract away any boring parts of the job that start to get on your tits. You'll find you can put together a decent custom CMS and database interface in a few hours once you have a decent codebase to build from. Still dull but hey.

NB: I intend to do much more exciting music tech / AI-related things once I've finished a masters :)

Matt
Sunday, August 22, 2004

It depends on what you enjoy.  Do what you think is best, though it sounds you quite like the idea of working in the gaming industry.

With regards to credibility it depends who you're talking to. 

Steven
Monday, August 23, 2004

Ah, web-developers. The hairstylists of the tech world. :-)

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, August 23, 2004

I went the other way (ok, not from web stuff). It would be really nice to have the kind of tools that desktop deleoopers take for granted. Actually any kind of tools that really worked would be quite useful...

Monday, August 23, 2004

I will give my standard advice: avoid the gaming industry like the plague.

You can expect: zero respect, incompetent management, little job security, constant bullshit, stupid hours, high pressure and (probably) work far less interesting than you would expect.

Mr Jack
Monday, August 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home