Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

comment.it service

Will it be nice to have service, which allows add comments to any web page?

For example you use Internet Explorer when you are at some web page, you can see comments of others to that page at sidebar and add yours?

Zepp
Saturday, August 21, 2004

Quite a good idea, but where to get that kind of storage and server power? It is well known that comments tend to accumulate and exceed the content until it suffocates under their weight - it's a law of nature... and we are not talking about a pamphlet here, but the whole Net!

Have a look at http://www.alexa.com - Alexa has been around for ages and their toolbar (yes, someone else wanting to stick their toolbar in your browser) provides info on websites including - apparently - other people's reviews.

I've never tried it though...

Slough Bloke

I saw something like this a couple of years ago. I don't remember where though.

www.MarkTAW.com

I always thought it would be useful to have some sort of sidebar which shows you independent information about a company when you're at their web site. For example, it could collect information from various agencies about the company's environmental record, hiring practices, etc. (assuming there are reputable agncies that provide these kinds of ratings).

User comments might be a bit much because, as other people have noted, there would be too many of them. But some ratings from known, trusted organizations would be helpful in deciding whether to do business with someone.

Jacob

Wasn't there some sort of Post-it note type service a few years ago ?

I think you installed something on your PC and left comments so that other people with the same software would see your post it note comment.

Kent

A slashdot style version of this could be good. This way you get the notes the most people voted on.

But it would break on too many dynamically generated pages. Anyone notice how Amazon's homepage has no Google rank? It would even break on this forum (not the homepage, but in the discussion threads).

I guess you could do it on the domain level.

But I swear I saw this very same idea a few years ago. Anyway, it would require a significant marketing campaign in order to gain enough of a share to be of any use.

Aren't there other services that let you notate a website and share it with your friends? Like that thingy Google just bought, but for websites, not photos.

www.MarkTAW.com

it was around about 4 years ago, can't remember the name of the main company offering the service was Third Voice.
even microsoft had a variant on it (smart tags in the html could have been used in a similar way)
lots of companies raised a big stink about it.
now what remains is adware.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,42803,00.html

mb

(this board need edit functionality... though i'm sure you can figure out the meaning and history of the nonsense sentence above...)

mb

Wow, sounds like I was right on the money about the marketshare thing. I guess these guys don't understand marketing in the internet age:

Use the software to do really controversial stuff and wait for slashdot to pick you up.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 22, 2004

I think a few .com companies tried this out.  It's boil-the-ocean, and of questionable utility.  Why are you annotating web pages?  If you want to discuss a page, why not use a wiki or something?  If the discussion is of any business value, why are you storing the data on some .Gone server?

(I think one company was called SideTalk.  A friend from high school went there.  They had at least a beta.)

Brian
Monday, August 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home