Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web sites for buying technical books

Anyone know of any good Web sites for buying technical books? Only one I can think of is www.bookpool.com.

Not God's gift to women, I'm more of a consolation prize
Saturday, August 21, 2004

That's a nice guerilla ad.

You may also want to try these lesser known sites:
amazon.com
bn.com
ebay.com

Dennis Atkins

addall.com is great ( http://www.addall.com ).

It's not a bookstore - it searches all the major ones online and returns the price, availability, shipping, condition (new/used), and a link directly to the book's web page at each site.

Yet another anon

No guerilla ad, Dennis, although in retrospect, I should've thought of how my original post would be perceived by the more cynical of posters.

And when I wrote "good Web sites", I meant ones that offered lower prices for technical books than amazon.com, bn.com, etc.

It may not have been intentional, but it was a plug. 

I am suspect. Why did you feel it necessary to mention a site at all?  Especially in light of the fact that the site mentioned is (ahem) less than well known.  Including the link doesn't increase the probative value or clarity of the question.  I doesn't need to be cynical to arrive at conclusion the you have some involvement with aforementioned site. 

(See, you can write three or four sentences, ask questions, withouth plugging a URL).

<sigh/>

I apparently can't proofread either ... big sigh.

<sigh/>

The Idiot Clown Geek Police Still Ride!

Amazing.  Someone asks an innocuous question about book sites, and some moron actually posts a message telling him not mention web sites.

A suggestion for the the Idiot Clowns: Why not try North Korea for a while?  There's a country with no marketing and very few web sites that discuss books (except long dissertations on Juche).

Amazing.

Saturday the 2st

Overstock.com ?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=CATLIST&PRO_SUB_CAT=735&PRO_SSUB_CAT=2169

Kent

I have purchased quite a few books from bookpool.com.  Their service has been good and they usually have the best price.  OTOH, their selection is quite limited.  I often buy elsewhere because they are out of stock or just don't list the book I am looking for.

I had not heard of addall.com before, so decided to give it a try.  A search for the book "Numerical Recipes in C" produced some interesting results.

Bookpool showed the best price for a new book.  Strangely, addall.com did not list either new books at amazon.com nor bn.com.  Going directly to their web sites shows that the amazon.com price is only $4 more than bookpool.com.  There was only one other store listed by addall.com with a price less than amazon.com.  Considering that amazon.com has a free shipping option, the final price may end up being second only to bookpool.com.  bn.com was charging full list price for the book.

A few years ago amazon.com didn't provide significant discounts on technical books, but my impression is that they have gotten more agressive about competing in that area and their prices are only slightly higher than bookpool.com.

If you really want to save a few more dollars there are used book sellers.  Be careful.  Following the links provided by addall.com I found some dealers selling used books for more than the discounted new price.

mackinac

Yet another is http://www.anybook4less.com/

Bonus for non-Americans: it factors in exchange and shipping.

I'm in Canada, and the best price on one book I wanted was from the UK of all things.  More recently, however, amazon.ca is blowing the competition away.

David Jones

+++I am suspect. Why did you feel it necessary to mention a site at all?  +++

Because he's not an idiot like you.

Anon

I see the intelligencia have arrived.

<sigh/>

Besides a good geurilla ad would be:

Does anyone know of a good place to buy technical books?
- Some guy with a question

Yes, try my site.
- Some guy with an answer

Don't you guys know anything about geurilla advertising?

And to answer the OP these are some stores without a technical book focus:

half.com (ebay)
powells.com
abebooks.com

http://www.google.com/search?q=technical+books
-> bookpool.com
-> opamp.com
-> lindsaybks.com
-> sdtb.com
-> qtb.com
-> www.technical.powells.portland.or.us (????)
-> etc.

www.MarkTAW.com

Bookpool is by far the best.  I've ordered from them 3-4 times over the past 15 months and they've always had a great selection and good shipping.

I'm not affiliated with them or any other book seller in any way.

KC

And Amazon doesn't have a good selection and shipping?

one meeeellion dollars!

I like Powell's - their selection is almost as vast as Amazon's and, well, they aren't Amazon.

The advertise in magazines I like so that's why I give them my patronage.

dot for this one

mackinac - that's a good catch on Addall not listing Amazon's new books.  I never noticed that before.

One other note on addall - it's great for academic texts.  Some of the booksellers they search specialize in school textbooks (e.,g. eCampus) and you can save $10 here or there.

The other thing to watch out for is the low priced new texts.  a lot of them turn out to be international printings - thinner paper and cheaper (smelly) ink, so read the fine print.

+1 for Powell's.  I buy used books from them all the time.  Of course, I have the advantage that I live near the brick and mortar store. So I check the prices online, then go to the store to inspect the condition before buying.  But, most of the used books are in good condition, and if they're not they have a deeper discount.

Yet another anon

I passed through Portland, and I definately want to go back. It's supposed to be a cool place... huge park, interesting people, bad weather, etc.

Powells is the world's largest bookstore (it's the whole block). I'm not nearly as enamoured with book stores as I once was, but if I was in Portland I'd definately check it out "just becuase."

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Powell's rules. The tech bookstore is down the street a block or two from the main store and is by far my favorite tech bookstore.

And Jake's is a short walk. And the brewery's are nearby....

CTL+L www.orbitz.com

fool for python
Sunday, August 22, 2004

Well... I'd probably make a tour of the whole western seaboard if I were to go to Portland. There's a lot of places I want to see.. San Fran, Taos, Portland, maybe parts of Montana again, maybe Boulder again. Life's too short to take a vacation to just one city.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 22, 2004

www.bestbookbuys.com via ISBN

I noticed Amazon quoted lower via links from search result than when you go direct?

Bookpool is cool WHEN they have stock :-(

Karel
Monday, August 23, 2004

I have found http://www.fetchbook.info/
to be a good place to do comparison shopping...

Honu
Monday, August 23, 2004

www.softpro.com
www.quantumbooks.com

(These are my two favorite meatspace stores).

DEBEDb
Monday, August 23, 2004

www.isbn.nu

Bubba
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home