Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ASP (classic) frameworks and libraries

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm working with a new client in classic ASP.  I generally work on PHP projects.

I found there is no shortage of free/open source frameworks in PHP to handle all kinds of common tasks (like form validation).  In all my googling, I've really yet to find similar resources for ASP short of a few disjointed scripts.

I hate to reinvent the wheel so are there any common code frameworks for common web tasks for ASP out there?

Almost Anonymous
Thursday, August 19, 2004

I used to use ASP a lot. In ASP's heyday the framework craze hadn't started, so there was nothing for ASP. I imagine there still isn't because it is pretty much a dead technology.

There are plenty of libraries but you usually have to pay for them - even for something basic like file upload.

Herr Herr

While this isn't a famework at all, I've put together a code generator for making a "CRUD" applications in cooperation with a database("Create, Report, Update, Delete"), its not meant to generate the final code, but you describe your DB in an XML file, and the generator blasts out a bunch ASP files to do the "CRUD" operations. After you get it "basically" right, then you hand edit it to get it how you want it.

Its written in C and GPL'ed, here's the link to where I talk about it on my site:
http://www.titivillus.net/panopticon/story.asp?sid=15

If its useful to you, let me know. If its a horrible piece of crap, yeah, I did this in a week because I got tired of writing the same code over and over again. Oh yeah, the C code is a horrible nasty mess, not split up into the numerous files and not factoring out nearly enough stuff(this is a one off hack in C, that I may one day fix to be much nicer, so respect that :). Of course, its free, so no money lost.

Matt Estes

I would suspect that it's also due to the communities that surround it..

PHP is surrounded by the Open Source community where there has been an inherent value seen in sharing and collaboration both within and between organizations.  You can download php, apache, etc and have something functional relatively quickly.

ASP comes from MS-land where this the sharing/collaboration idea is a relatively new concept.  You can't just download IIS and start hacking away, you have to purchase it.  Which creates a barrier to entry for those who just want to experiment.

KC

I think (think, not sure) that DreamweaverMX supports old ASP. It can generate code for alot of stuff and might have validation stuff in it.

Eric Debois

Sorry KC, no dice. 

There are literally hundreds of websites that have thousands of free, open source ASP libraries.  Just type "ASP" into google. 

Crackhead

Crackhead,

Have you actually tried typing "ASP" in google?  I tried that, then I posted here...

Almost Anonymous

I didn't say "open source ASP libraries".

I was talking about frameworks...  which in the open source (jsp, php) world, there are *dozens* to choose from and more every week.  Most of them are free, some cost $$$.

How many are there in asp?

KC

Do you have Visual Studio? It's not a framework for your app, but it is Microsoft's product for developing on a Microsoft platform.

You might also want to get some tranquilizers or start drinking heavily, IIS/ASP/SQL Server is a bear without someone to walk you through the landmines.

Tom H

You might also find some good information here:

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/

Tom H

Or if you can dissect and existing asp app, that works pretty well too...

That's what I did back in 2000.

KC

if you are really into "Frameworks" (99% of which suck anyway), sf.net has a lot of ASP frameworks.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Asourceforge%2Enet+asp

Crackhead
Friday, August 20, 2004

Crackhead,

Did you actually look through the results of that google search or did you just equate "Results 1 - 20 of about 7,920 from sourceforge.net for asp" as being some useful metric?  Unfortunately, most of those results are for ASP.NET, then applications written in ASP, and then causal mentions of ASP.  After a few pages, not a single framework comes up.

Sure, they might all be horrible -- but I'd like to see what people are doing.  The answer is, of course, that people aren't doing anything!  Which is a shame.

I've currently been playing around with Windows Scripting Components -- which seems like a reasonable way to build a decent ASP framework.

Almost Anonymous
Friday, August 20, 2004

Hey guys, If you need a good solid Classic ASP Framework that is Open Source check this out:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=69b08b15-d456-4cf9-8b12-d4642ef0c22e

Is an event driven framework that works like ASP.NET, it also includes a whole list of controls (all writen in pure ASP), supports viewstate and almost all events you can ever need...  and the response time is super fast.

If you need to work in Classic ASP, this is the best way to go, specially if you want to port to ASP.NET because the code looks soo much alike.

Christian Calderon
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Thanks, I'm looking into it now.

KC
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home