Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

REBOL IOS?

Has anyone built over the web apps in REBOL IOS? I'm reading the (little) info they have on their site, and it looks interesting. Any real-world experience with this tool?

http://www.rebol.com/index-ios.html

Fred
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Had an interview with a guy who used it for a project. He said it was pretty good.

dot dot

I've used IOS for building collaborative-spaces. It's very lightweight and comes "out-of-the-box" with filesharing/synching & thin-client app functionality. It's pretty remarkable that you can build a simple distributed app in less code than this post.

In all I enjoyed the experience very much, but it can be a tough sell in a corporate environment. Apps/executables delivered through the platform can only be built in REBOL, and there aren't many applications or devs out there. REBOL competes against the web/browser as an app platform. Maybe others have a different perspective.

Given the right niche, IOS can serve needs very well. It's certainly an excellent platform and language for quickly building capable, cross-platform applets.  I still use REBOL as a shell/scripting language nearly every day -- that's how good the language is.

Edoc

Thx for the comment. I'll see if I can get a trial version to check it out.

Fred

Its quite a cool little environment. Nice for file parsing. Very low memory / CPU overhead too.

Wouldn't want to build GUIs with it though...

Anon
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home