Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel's new book.

Congratulations, Joel.

Isn't everything in the book already on the site though?

Mr Jack
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Being bundled with Coder to Developer by Mike Gunderloy.  Is that a good deal?

John

I want to know where I can collect my royalties for J+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ?

WoodenTongue

I think it's great to finally see someone publish a lot of information about Oracle that typicallys passes from DBA to DBA via the oral tradition. Kudos to Joel for his clear presentation and practical book about Oracle; I'll definitely recommend it to my DBA's.

:-)

Rob Meyer

It must be a real hot seller.  Amazon says, "Only 4 left in stock--order soon".  As if that weren't odd enough, there's three *used* copies for sale.  And, as Joel has already noted, there's already three reviews.

bpd

I don't follow why Joel thinks the reviews don't make sense -- ??

Lanie

Oh, and yeah, Mr. Jack, almost all of it is on the site. He added an intro and some postscripts/commentary to the articles though.  (Which is what Isaac Asimov used to do from time to time, and yes, I've bought some of those JUST FOR THE COMMENTS :). (Not to imply that Joel is Isaac Asimov. That might be sacreligious.))

My guess is they did this because people like to have real books. I do.

Lanie

It is a hot seller for sure: Amazon sales rank of 25 right now.

Crazy!

Ian Sefferman

"Boss you should read some of the articles on this website by some guy named Joel"

vs.

"Boss, read this book by the guy who was a program manager for Excel"

Philo

Philo

Wow. I knew Joel was famous, but I never realized how famous he was. I'm sure he never realized it himself.

anon

Philo - "Boss, read this book by the guy who was a program manager for Excel".

Don't forget that this was ~10 years ago, and even then Joel says his "bit" was putting VBA into Excel, nothing to do with the core Excel product itself.

Although Joel does have occassional insights, it sometimes seems that his ideas are based on those days (10 years ago), trying to turn FCS into a mini-me Microsoft.

There's nothing wrong with that, but if someone threw Joel's book at me, I'd catch it, laugh and throw it back, making a mental note that the thrower was easily lead and probably another Joel-wannabe.

Nemesis
Monday, August 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home