Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

At the end of the day...

At the end of the day...

We had a big argument about SQL vs Oracle.  What did we accomplish?  Not a damn thing except pissing one another off or offending each other.  I have my opinions, everyone else has theirs.  Did I change mine because of what you said?  No.  Did you change yours?  No.

What it comes down too is there are a few large vendors and we've chosen teams based on our personal experience or peripheral experience via friends and trusted voices.  Isn't it possible that I have not seen the problems with my favorite technology, yet you have.  Does that make me wrong or lucky?  Oh, and are you wrong because you haven't seen the problems with your technology that I have?

In the bigger picture we all make a living off of our chosen technology.  The vendors of the technology all get in pissing matches about whose is bigger.  Why are we getting sucked into the arguments of a few billionaires?  [note: more power to Bill, Larry, and IBM for making their money, I could not care less about that]  My problem is that getting sucked into these arguments and / or starting them is stupid as it only pits us against one another.  We're rather like slaves fighting one another without seeing the bigger picture.  I'll admit I am as guilty as any of you.  I just think we'd be better served to help each other out when we can and not flame our fellow compatriots for their choice.

Mike
Thursday, August 19, 2004

That was beautiful.  After I had a good cry I went and smoked and Endust rag.  Now I'm ok.

Oh hell now I'm not.... excuse me.

muppet

*an Endust rag.  Damn it.  Drugs are bad.

muppet

Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit smoking Endust rags.

sid

>> "Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit smoking Endust rags."

A stack of the prized Glengarry leads are coming your way Sid.  I laughed so hard I nearly pissed my pants on that one.

Mitch & Murray (from Downtown)

Mike you are right of course. However this kind of stubborn debates occurs in so many areas.

Win vs Linux,
Oracle vs MSSQL
CS Degree vs self-educated

I was listening to a CS-degree vs non-CS-degree aregument that stemmed from an alogrithm topic a few days ago. It was sad. I don't know whether their are a few very loud argumentive people who think the world fits neatly into little boxes. As if someone is really better or worse, for having or not having a computer science degree.

So 'at the end of the day'....will we ever change? I don't think so, the moment we do there will be no Rugby League, or Aussie Rules, or State of Origin (or whatever equivalents exist in your country). None of those sports that require hating the opposition regardless how evenly matched everyone is. What would become of our economy?

Aussie chick

hey no fair I made the Endust joke first.  Did I get deleted or something?  Damn it.

muppet

--- The vendors of the technology all get in pissing matches about whose is bigger. ---

That's probably part of human nature, to engage in pissing matches. Anyway, i still prefer these contests over other pissing matches, like who has the bigger car.

But, yes; i agree it doesn't help anybody.

Michael Moser

At the end of the day there is a new one.

At the end of the day your bosses don't care a damn about what you think about the choice of technology used.

Ricky

That was beautiful.  After I had a good cry I went and smoked a bone.  Now I'm ok.

Oh hell now I'm not.... excuse me.

muppet

One problem is that a lot of people in the programming field get very emotionally attached to particular  technology choices. They then trot out their arguments, but genuinely believe that they're arguing purely from rational grounds. It's very hard to deal with, because they think they're "logically correct" and so anyone arguing with them is dumb, or deliberately not getting the point, or whatever.

Here's my rule of thumb: anyone who's a *zealot* for X over Y is either not that experienced in Y, too dense to get their head around the concept of design tradeoffs, or too sad to be able to distinguish between their own personal prefernces/experiences and objective truth.

After all, if there's a good case for X over Y, it can be made without acting like a jerk...

Arkestra

"Isn't it possible that I have not seen the problems with my favorite technology, yet you have.  Does that make me wrong or lucky?  Oh, and are you wrong because you haven't seen the problems with your technology that I have?"

This is like arguing about whether there is a bird in the bush beyond an empty bush.  Either you are an expert, or just act like it enough not to ruffle feathers.

Your not the boss, so it's not your behind on the line.  I would just go along with the boss, and quietly fantasize about open-source from time to time.  hehe.

Brian R.

"At the end of the day...

We had a big argument about SQL vs Oracle.  What did we accomplish?"

Firstly on the SQL Server side most of the arguments weren't pro-SQL Server, they were anti-[anti-SQL Server]. I personally would embrace and use either SQL Server, Oracle, or DB2 without hesitation, and I got the impression from some of the other SQL Server defenders - they're all extremely good database systems. That debate had little in common with a classic Linux-Versus-Windows style debate.

So what was accomplished? Well I think that a lot of readers of the thread are likely unsure of where the market is, and truly would like to know where the various database products stand. While I would hardly think that the thread is a comprehensive evaluation, I do think that it conclusively derided the most common anti-SQL Server claim (virtually the entire thread circled around scalability). Remember that the vast, vast majority of readers of most forums are lurkers, not direct participants, so most people debate in the spirit of informing the lurkers, not in changing the opinion of the person on the other side of the table.

Dennis Forbes

Welcome to the internet... seriously... is this new to anyone?

chris

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home