Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SQL 2005 vs Oracle 10G

Anyone know whether SQL 2005 will support something like Oracle Real Application Clusters? 

If Oracle RAC does what it promises....  than that's freaking amazing. 

Any thoughts on Oracle RAC, or a SQL 2005 equivalent?

Crackhead
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Oracle RAC sort of does what it promises.  Pretty cool, when it works.  When it doesn't, it can be somewhat spectacular, with one server maxed and the others virtually idle.  Don't work at that Oracle shope anymore but even while there I was one of the token binary guys, so take comments with a grain of salt.  I do know that the folks who claimed "to know" were suitably impressed.

<sigh/>

MS put up a response to RAC here. 

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/compare/oracle-rac.asp

Crackhead

How many millions of dollars did this cost IBM?

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=29107138

Pete

Are you a Java or Microsoft shop?

example

If Microsoft are motivated to release a FUD paper over Oracle, then they must be doing something right.

Really...imagine that Microsoft counters against their larger competitor in the database market. Clearly their is something wrong with that.

I find the Microsoft link re: RAC funny.  99.99999% of the time the documents that are downloadable are office docs.  And if you don't have the program, they offer a viewer.  Gee, this is a pdf, you mean someone might visit your site that doesn't use/want/need/give a shit about/ office.  Also tell me how many that are using or thinking about RAC would consider SQL Server?

By the way Ford backed out of an ERP software implementation, probably had nothing what so ever to do with the rdbms.

d
Thursday, August 19, 2004

"Also tell me how many that are using or thinking about RAC would consider SQL Server?"

Some people actually do weigh various alternatives instead of just buying what their biased CIO says to buy.

And agreed about the Ford thing.

Philo [Microsoft]

Philo
Thursday, August 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home