Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

dooooooom!!!

does nut work on WIN98se, what gives?
Has id sold out to microsoft or are there genuine performance issues? There is a workaround involving dragging and dropping and hex editing the exe, thats desperation.. which im considering.

However firstly,
If I were to upgrade should it be to XPpro or 2000pro?
I use 2000 at work and it does what I tell it too, but a friend who I respect as a coder and general IT bod insists on XP? On the web.. forums make it head to head.

I would prefer to stay with 98SE, since its not 'broken' and people with ill intent are less bothered with it.
But for Doooooom!!! (said with a strong scottish accent).
This game did make me fork out 500quid (nearly a thousand dollars) which is another thing in itself.

Which brings me to another question, i replaced my mobo and booted into windows without re-installing, it found loads of new components, but not my CDROM (which is there while booting but not in Windows) so I cannot install the drivers to make these components work, anyone know a way to get my CDROM working in windows in this scenario without a floppy drive?

eod

aku beg
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

>I would prefer to stay with 98SE, since its not 'broken'

That's a good one.  But seriously, I remember getting Doom working on OS/2, Dos, and even Win 95 so I don't think there is anything wrong with Win 98.  Try a more appropriate forum, Google etc.

>anyone know a way to get my CDROM working in windows in this scenario without a floppy drive

Have a network?  Share the CD on the other computer and Wa-La.

Bill Rushmore

a fitting end to a bad day  : |

aku beg

"If I were to upgrade should it be to XPpro or 2000pro?"

I'd say XP. Actually, if you can, I'd suggest keeping your Win98 box, and getting a new one with XP, just for the new games.

Paulo Caetano

We're talking about Doom 3, right? Not the original version, right?

Doom 3 is not supported on Windows 98.

Mark Hoffman

5 years just isn't what it used to be I guess.

www.MarkTAW.com

==>I would prefer to stay with 98SE, since its not 'broken'

What planet are you living on?

Sgt. Sausage

Well, Win98SE is slightly better than that piece of shit known as Windows ME. ;)

Neanderthal man

Windows ME is probably the worst OS I've ever seen. Had it installed and 2 weeks later I was looking for my Win98 CD like a madman.

Ogami Itto

Anyone stupid enough to still be using a version of Windows less than Windows 2000 doesn't deserve any software.

Mr. Fancypants

Insert joke here about Win9x being fragged by a rocket-head

example

Eaten by a fat bald zombie, you mean.

Chris Nahr
Thursday, August 19, 2004

>If I were to upgrade should it be to XPpro or 2000pro?

If you get new hardware and you are into games, then XP is better.
XP supports hyperthreading (i.e. one CPU that pretends to be/acts like two CPU's).
Windows2000 does not support hyper threading .

Michael Moser

Somebody released a patch that makes doom3 work on win98.

TomA

You spent $1000 on game hardware but want to run 98?
Sad, really sad.

Just me (Sir to you)

Windows 98 is (at least from what I've seen) widely regarded as the last old-games-compatible OS from Microsoft.  XP's compatibility mode works...sometimes.  A few examples of XP's incompatibilities:

-TIE Fighter (Win95-compatible edition, still sold in bargain bin racks) doesn't have sound
-Betrayal at Krondor won't run, and you can't use a bootdisk for it if you're running on a NTFS partition (DOS6/7/8/Anything bootdisks can see FAT32, but can't 'see' NTFS partitions which are native to 2000 and XP), so without major tweaking it's not playable.  So far in my experience: totally incompatible.
-My demo copy of Tyrian 2000 (not actually released in 2000) funkifies the controls and has no sound--basically rendering it unplayable.

But XP is definitely the gaming OS of the future, and it's great at handling in-game crashes.  I can crash Fallout 2 in some sort of infinite crash loop, go to the Task Manager and end the task.  Fire the game back up, load from last saved position and I'm good to go--on Win98SE, this required no less than a full-reboot.  Also, it has no problem task-switching out of a lot of games (this is a very good thing).

So get XP.  Legally.

pds

I still run 98SE at home.

No firewall... no antivirus...

Granted, I stick to web-based email (I don't trust OE), but that machine has a very high % up time. I don't really see much reason to use 2000/XP. Stability? Complication? Obfuscation of features?

I don't have problems running old DOS-based games and I also haven't had any driver issues with 98. I'm sure many gamers using 2k/XP wish they could say the same.

The framerates I get in games are better than either XP or 2000 on the same hardware. I don't know why, but I know it is true. I suspect the astronomical and unnecessary overhead of XP/2k (default, I know you can turn stuff off) is the culprit though. Games written prior to 2k/XP also (predictably) don't crash as much on 98 as they will on 2k/XP, which usually goes back to the aforementioned driver issues, but....

Plus, how many people are out there are targetting win98 with their latest viiral concoctions?

Business is business and gamin' is gamin'. The only problem with 98SE on a gaming platform is that there are now two big-name titles that will not run on it out of the box. Thief 3 is the other one, for those curious.

2000/XP may be quite superior in many respects, but 98SE is still the best all-around OS for gamers.

I am Jack's resistance to change

And betrayal at krondor is the best game of all time so anything that won't run it is shit. Period.

:)

I am Jack's LOVE FOR BAK

"The framerates I get in games are better than either XP or 2000 on the same hardware."

That's counter to my experience, and counter to the experience of gaming magazines as well.

My framerate in games in 9x is about 25% lower than my framerate in games in XP. A small portion of that can be accounted for by the loss of Hyperthreading, but prior to my HT CPU, the difference was still quite significant: about 20%.

Similar results have been shown in side by side tests done by the major gaming magazines.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, August 20, 2004

"-Betrayal at Krondor won't run, and you can't use a bootdisk for it if you're running on a NTFS partition (DOS6/7/8/Anything bootdisks can see FAT32, but can't 'see' NTFS partitions which are native to 2000 and XP), so without major tweaking it's not playable.  So far in my experience: totally incompatible."

Works fine for me under NTFS. Have you put it into 9x/ME (or whatever it's called) compatability mode? You might have to do other things also, but I can't remember. Best to  do a Google search, since the tips to making it work are out there.

Matt T.
Friday, August 20, 2004

DooM 3 DOES run on 98SE and you pukes with the stupid comments are really stupid compared to the 1st post. Win 98SE still works fine and runs games perfectly.. It isn't attacked as much as Win XP. Bill Gates must have paid a fortune to get John to put that stupid OS version check it the DooM 3 EXE.. As long as people cave to Bill Gates, we'll be using his incomplete software... Rave on blind idiots, scream about how lame it is to use 98SE, but your the fools dancing to the Gates toons.

Win 98SE Forever
Thursday, September 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home