Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Place to Move for a job?

I'm currently live in the Midwest and as far as I can tell there really are no technology jobs to be had here.  Those tech jobs that are available are fiercely competed for.  Those jobs are also mostly in an "IT department" for mostly manufacturing, telemarketing and perhaps a government position here and there.

Thus I would like to move to the east coast because I think that it may be easier to get a software engineer job there.  I believe Virginia, North Carolina or perhaps Tennessee?

I think these areas may be my best bets.  Some have suggested Arizona and Florida which may also work.

Does anyone live in these areas and can confirm that there is reallly a demand for software engineers?

Also what is the best way to seek out the software companies in area?  Are there listings besides the yellow pages?

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Well I know you didn't ask about New England but I'll tell you up front it's as dry as a bone for decent IT jobs.

muppet

Seattle, baby. 

Microsoft, Amazon, and a ton of small and not so small shops.  Many are hiring.

Look at http://www.nwclassifieds.com you will find your best leads there.

As usual, C++/Java/C/C# are the languages companies are looking for, and from what I can tell, in that order.

The cost of living here is ridiculous.

hoser

India

okay, seriously. Milwaukee, Charlotte, Mass (Waltham), New Jersey, or SanFran

Patrick

I second florida.  Got take courses at FIT at night. 

Work with Cem Kaner and stuff.  If I had to move, I'd do something like that. I heard bad things about the job market in Jacksonville, but FIT is in Melbourne ...

good luck!

www.xndev.com (Matt H.)

Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft!

Sathyaish Chakravarthy

I second Seattle.  Sure, the cost of living is higher than average, but the quality of life is great.  It's an educated city ... close to so much natural beauty and outdoor activities.  Portland, OR is also a good choice.

C'mon, though.  Unless you plan on living at work, don't choose a place to live based on a job search.  Choose a place to live based on where you want to live and then look for a job.  What do you like to do in your spare time?  Where do you know people, etc?

(And if that's not possible, at least make a list of a few cities that you'd like to live in and choose the one with the best job prospects.)

Michael Kale

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.  Its very hot in the summer, but compared to the extreme weather conditions of a lot of other places, its not so bad.  You can manage heat with air conditioning.  At least your pipes aren't freezing or breaking, your car rusting, no earthquakes/tornadoes/hurricanes etc.  The cost of living is much better than California.  As a point of reference: I have a new house over 1800 square feet which cost $155k.  There are a lot of companies that have moved/started large branches and even headquarters in the Phoenix area, mostly Scottsdale (directly adjacent to Phoenix).  Outside of Las Vegas, Phoenix is fastest growing metropoitan area in the US.  It would seem like there should be ample opportunities.

I have been perusing the job sites lately, mostly looking for advanced web development jobs, and Java appears to be the hot skill in Arizona.  If I already knew Java comfortably, I could probably have my pick of several jobs.  .NET is another big one.  I haven't looked for straight-up software jobs, so I couldn't tell you.  If you use sites like Monster.com to search the area, you can ignore cities like Tucson and Yuma.  Phoenix area is the only area to really be concerned about in Arizona, unless you want to be a cowboy, or retire.

Clay Whipkey

I would submit that choice about relocation involves a bit more than just the job.  What kind of software development do you want to do?  I'm not sure what your tone means with the reference to IT departments but outside of shrink-wrap vendors and consulting houses, you'll probably work in the IT department for a large corporation.  (i.e., companies that can afford to hire developers.)

Don't discount the cost of living that hoser mentioned.  It's insane on the urban coasts.  But it really depends on what kind of job and lifestyle you're looking for. 

The biggest factor in cost of living is usually housing.  There's a pretty good comparison tool called the Home Price Index at http://www.coldwellbanker.com/ .  Keep that in mind when comparing salaries mean in different regions.  And don't forget the impact of the tax structure.  California and New York have income taxes of at least 9 percent or so.  It's a big country so you have some options.  Good luck.

Jeremy

The Washington D.C. area (Northern Virginia, places like Fairfax county; and Maryland counties (Montgomery, Howard, Baltimore)) is a hot-bed of homeland security jobs, at the moment.

True, it helps if you have a Government clearance already, but the market is now so tight that if you are 'clearable' (things like no or few overseas relatives, etc) they will still hire you.

The DC area has always been an area of U.S. Government support jobs (US Govt, IRS, NASA, DOD) and contractors who support them (aka 'Beltway Bandits')and has shown consistent employment figures over the years.

Things asked for are Windows and C++, Windows and Java, Unix and C++, Unix and Java, website development, database development using Oracle or Sybase (Oracle is larger).

AllanL5

I don't know if Tennessee is a "hot-bed" for technology, but I can vouch that it's a great place to live and there are tech jobs to be found. If I had my druthers, though, I'd be working while looking at the beach.

Josh E.

I'm in Hampton Roads,  VA, and this is a pretty nice area.  Lots of gov't contracts, so if you have a Secret Clearance, you can get anything.

There's a bunch of stuff in Richmond - moreso than down here in Hampton Roads.  Again, lots of gov't contracts, corporate IT stuff, not much in the way of startups and research.  Nice area though.

nathan

>Also what is the best way to seek out the software companies in area?  Are there listings besides the yellow pages?

Many area have regional technology organizations that try sell that area and convine more tech companies to move in.  Find your area then find your group.

Bill Rushmore

How does a softare professional go about getting a security clearance to qualify for gub'ment work?

MySecret

"Portland, OR is also a good choice."

Not if you want to find a job it isn't.  The IT market has picked up in the past year, but Portland still has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.  Also, Forbes named it #4 on their most overpriced cities list.

Yet another anon

FL - Tempa/Orlando

One of my friend, a programmer, he litterly left his job here in OH, went to Tempa, rented an Apartment ... within one month he got a pretty decent job, now he is looking for a house, and from the money he has saved in OH, he can put hefty DP on a much bigger house.

Raju Patel

I don't know about tech, but the Department of Labor Statistics seems to think Bryan-College Station, Texas has the lowest unemployment rate.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm

They also say unemployement is at the lowest level it's been since October, 2001. Then again, we're not talking about such a huge margin of difference...

http://data.bls.gov/labjava/servlets/graphics/generated_graphs/LNS14000000_165864_1092856512609.gif

www.MarkTAW.com

Oh, and don't come to NYC, you'll just contribute to the 7.4% unemployment rate we already have. :-P

www.MarkTAW.com

To get a clearance:

1.  An employer has job A, which requires person B with a clearance.  Thus, they can apply for a clearance for person B on job A, or to move person B's existing clearance to job A.  A clearance is assigned on a job-by-job basis.

2.  You (person D) have no clearance.  Thus, employer must have job C, which person D can work at, while the company applies for person D's clearance for job A.  This works much better if person D is 'clearable', ie the person has no foreign ties (relatives), was once cleared, etc. 

This makes it very likely that the company can in fact GET a clearance for person D, and ultimately put them on project A.

3.  So, as an uncleared person, to break the catch 22, you must find a company willing to take you on while they get the clearance for you.  This is difficult -- but the demand is high enough right now that it is possible.

AllanL5

Tennesse is a long state. I'd stay clear of Memphis. Cheap but 2nd rate. Few tech jobs except for perhaps whatever is trendy elsewhere. Lots of dumb people. I'd recommend the Denver area. I lived there and it was beautiful in all ways, really incredible, lots of smart people, beautiful landscapes everywhere, the mountains, smart people ...  As far as Tennesse goes, people speak well of Nashville but I've never been there. I went to school in Knoxville but I'm not a fan of those "mountains" ... I like the west much better.

me

Orange county california is pretty hot right now.  Every major tech company has an Office down here, and its realy nice to live. The only problem is you'll have to take a decent commute if you don't want to be paying 300k for a 2 bedroom condo.  But the weather and the girls more then make up for the high price of real estate.

Vince

Memphis: Great place to live, not so hot for tech jobs.  First Tennessee is a great place to work, but... it's a bank (if you've worked at one, you'll understand).

I don't know if Austin has recovered.  A friend said that in his apartment complex, of the people he shared a landing with, 3/4 of them lost their jobs in the crash.

RTP (Raleigh/Chapel Hill area) is hiring, but you have to have the right skills.  IBM recently announced they were creating 15,000 new jobs -- the catch is that it's world-wide, so I don't know how many of them will be in the US.

Perhaps if you posted what your skills are, someone can make a better suggestion (not the entire resume, please)

example

>>> True, it helps if you have a Government clearance already, but the market is now so tight that if you are 'clearable' (things like no or few overseas relatives, etc) they will still hire you. <<<

I live in the DC area (Maryland) and don't have the impression that the market is that tight.  I got laid off a year ago and took  five months to find a short term contract job.  Recently I exchanged email with someone at my previous employer and found they had another layoff this past May and he is still looking.  Another fellow, a recent graduate in EE, is still looking for work.

The Washington Post is full of job ads.  Most want people who already have a security clearance, usually top secret with other letters indicating something even more impressive and rare.  That is, they are trying to lure away people who already have jobs.

Some quality of living considerations: housing prices are going up so fast that it is a frequent source of news stories.  The area traffic has been rated as second worst in the nation.  (I don't know who does the rating but entirely too much of my life crawling along I-495 at 5 mph).

mackinac

I had a Secret Level Clearance in the military.  Don't know how easy it would be to get re-approved.  I have RDBMS (MSSQL), ASP, VB, Win32 and and some C/C++ experience.

Do you like to party outside of work?  If so, stay away from Portland. :)

Sounds shallow I know, but I like going places that have a lot to offer socially (i.e., clubs, bars, restauraunts, etc).  The outdoors stuff is a distant second for me.

Denver is also OK, depending on what you're into.  I know a lot of people who LOVE it there, but for me it was kinda "eh" compared to San Fran and LA.

But again, I'm shallow... ;)

Crimson
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Crimson, you're just fine as you are.

Clover

Austin's still mixed.  There's a lot of pent up demand, but not a lot of movement.  You still require a lot more "networking" to find spots, but when you find them they're generally pretty good. 

Unfocused Focused

Regarding security clearances (should maybe be another thread) -- Some things that hinder being declared clearable are:  bankruptcy, bad credit (payments late more than 90 days) , being fired from a job in the past 7 years, arrests in the past 7 years.  Clearance can take more than a year and a half.     

throwthebumsout

Regarding security clearances and foreign relatives...

I married a foreigner. Should I forget ever getting a security clearance?

Bob

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home