Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Developing in the Open

I think Eric Sink suggested in one of his articles to develop in the open.

So what do you think? What about starting a blog, bloggin about the product's development and asking visitors for their feedback on the development progress.

Wouldn't this benefit competitors as well? And how to get the blog popular?

Your input on this?

Pythonic
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

I have been maintaining a blog while developing my product, however not really for the reasons Eric says (I don't think I had even read his article when I started the blog).

Mostly the hits I get are from JoSers. I have recieved good feedback from time to time and pointers in the right direction from guys who know more then me. As for non-developers, who would want to read a blog about a product that doesn't exist yet. Hence they don't *really* know whether it is a product that would interest them, let along interest them enough to read a blog about its development.... Even if it was a popular product, I can't imagine any wanting to read it. Eric Sink, and even Joel have the benefit that they are blogging about software that is being written for developers. What other types of people would honestly care enough to read a blog about a development process??

Once the product is released, and the website working I would like to bring my blog onto my own site, who knows, in the future people might actually read it....though apart from the odd developer, I can't imagine who.

Aussie Chick

Yes, Joel's products are aimed squarely at the same audience as his weblog. How many other people can say the same thing?

Was Eric's suggestion to pointed at consulting companies? It seems like a clever way to drum up business, but you really have to be a good writer to pull it off anyway.

As an individual looking for employment, running a popular weblog seems like it would be a good thing. Just as long as you didn't rant about your employers in it. Though it seemed to work for Philo.

www.MarkTAW.com

Developing in the open? What about when it rains?

Ogami Itto

Engage your customers. Depending on the nature of your software, not all of them may care about the development. It is a fine play for tool vendors such as Eric and Joel, but for many other products, you are not going to win them over in that way.

Just me (Sir to you)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home