Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Backup Software

I am an overworked sysadmin who is completely disgusted with the quality of tape backup software available today for backing up Win NT/2K servers. We moved from Seagate Backup Exec to Legato Networker because of the extraordinarily long time taken to complete backups. Networker is faster but: (a) Its difficult to figure out whether a backup ran successfully or not (b) Impossible to get reports (c) the restore process is not easy (d)When a backup fails, Networker doesn't clearly tell you the reason due to which a backup failed. (e) Backups fail fairly often.

I have seen a previous thread where the need for tape backups was questioned. I am afraid I have no choice in the matter. Also, I can't change from Windows to a different OS for various reasons.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage backups in the kind of environment I have described when you are seriously short on time?

Thanks in advance.

Kechi
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Would a backup -> disk and backup the backup -> tape be an option for you?

Just me (Sir to you)

I too left Backup Exec.  Way bloated and will drive a server into the ground if someone forgets the tape.

I went to UltraBac.  Lean, mean and flawless so far.

Mike

retrospect ?

just an idea ?
Friday, August 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home