Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Algorithms

I need to manipulate a tree, similar to Windows Explorer. What kind of algorithms must I follow? Can you give me some names so I can google them?

Unwashed Masses
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

windows explorer tree algorithm

muppet
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

If you mean you want a tree control in your GUI, look in the library of whatever language you are using. The tree control is pretty standard, you shouldn't have to write much of anything.

Tom H
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Is this for contract?

Alex
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

tree traverse sort node add remove merge

optionally: recursive, heap

Mathie
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Plant some seeds

Me Programmer Do Good
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

microsoft gives you a windows tree control.  You don't need no stinkin' algorithm!

al-gore-ithm
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Euler.

i like i
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

> microsoft gives you a windows tree control.  You don't need no stinkin' algorithm!

I assume that wasa  joke, but if not... If only it were that easy! Assuming you have some kind of separation between your UI and your data you will probably want a tree or some other data structure to hold the data you display in the tree control. Otherwise, yeah, just attach the nodes' associated data directly to the tree.

You people with your fancy trees.  Back in my day we just had lists, and we liked it!

Kalani

Hey, be nice to this guy. He attempted to ask nicely. He's not asking for answers, he's asking for pointers to help with his research.

Miles Archer

Looks like homework to me...

eclectic_echidna

Tree nodes have 1 and only 1 parent.
Tree nodes have 0..* siblings
Tree nodes have 0..* children

example

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home