Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

use Visio to generate code for .NET?

has anyone here used Visio to generate code for .NET?

my big question: do you need Vision Architect version or .NET architect version (is there such a thing)
or both?

thanks!

Patrick
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

.NET is unstable. I won't do any .NET for a loooooooooong time sorry bro!

European 2 cents
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Standard expert's answer to HOW-TO question: don't do it!

VPC
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Use Photoshop. It has much better capabilities than Vision.

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Visio for Enterprise Architects is included with Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect Edition.

You can use it to generate code (from Visio) and reverse engineer class diagrams from VS.NET  (although it barfs if you haven't set up namespaces etc EXACTLY how it likes).

I find it good enough for what I need (the only UML I tend to use are class and sequence diagrams).

Rational also intergrates into VS.NET, but as you need to re-mortgage your house to buy a copy, I'm not interested.

What would be nice would be a tool to generate sequence diagrams from C# code, as he desperately tries to sort out some spaghetti

el

el,

Borland Together (www.borland.com , together for VS .Net) does that exactly, been toying with it the last couple of days and it generates nice sequence diagrams from existing c# code (and al other sorts of diagrams)

Be sure to have enough Ram, cause it's been written in java :/

Tuy

Plus, rational's software is some of the buggiest, most infuriating software you'll ever use.  Once you've tried it,  you'll immediately disregard all the hype around RUP and Rational Rose etc.

Basically,  any tools / Methodology that can ship such shitty code, aren't worth the $100 books they're talked about in.

Angry

thanks el. So i have Visual Studio Enterprise addition. Can i just buy Visio Enterprise Architect and have it work?

Patrick

Patrick
It comes with Enterprise Architect as a seperate install (that integrates with the IDE). Perhaps you already have it on the DVD (or if you have a MSDE subscription?)

No idea if you can buy it seperate. But you can certianly buy Visio and that should generate code as well (the Microsoft Visio site says 2002 and 2003 integrate with VS.NET). Check with Microsoft, it might be cheaper to buy Visio rather than upgrade VS.NET.

Tuy,
Tried the demo, it looks fairly good. Unfortunately the spaghetti is so tangled even the sequence diagram is horrible to look at. Time for some cross-fingered refactoring before I can even begin to think of the modifications needed. Ho hum.

el

I use it as a brainstorming area to map out my classes, etc. When I'm finished, I have it generate C# code. In that regard, it works quite well.

Not sure that I would use it if I had to pay extra for it, but since it comes with MSDN....

Mark Hoffman

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home