Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.Net not good enough for Olympics

.Net not good enough for Olympics.  nbcolympics.com is using .jsp.  In fact NBC outsourced the site to a company in St Paul MN.  I wonder if the MS/NBC relationship is a little tense these days.  MIcrosoft made a big deal that Windows ran the last Olympics.  Of course Sun will probably miss the opportunity to brag up .jsp.

girl, you know it's true
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

" nbcolympics.com is using .jsp.  In fact NBC outsourced the site to a company in St Paul MN."

How would this read if reordered into

"NBC outsourced the site to a company in St Paul MN. In fact the outsource company is using .jsp."

NBC made a business deal with a technology provider who themselves are a Java shop. Whoopee. A recent Linux conference website was run on Windows 2003 for the same reason. Whoopee.

Dennis Forbes
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yes, when a high profile company selects one technology over another, it's conclusive proof that the unselected technology is inferior.  Didn't this kind of endorsement-makes-it-better thinking die out with Burma Shave or something?  Apparently not because ad agencies still exist.

NEXT.

muppet
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Obviously written by an underemployed jsp programmer... 

Crackhead
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

This is like that senator who said computers should be physically damaged by piracy.

Two weeks later it came out that he was using someone else's javascript on his web site.

He didn't put it there, but it sent a strong message precisely because it was the opposite of what's expected.

NBC does have a relationship with MS, so putting a site out there with JSP (especially if MS did make a big stink about the last olympics) does send a message about Microsoft.

Kind of like the McDonalds employees going across the parking lot to eat their lunch at Wendys.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

You've got to be kidding.  Dennis is spot on.

NBC is a huge corporation, and MS-NBC is just one of their joint ventures.  Looking through all of GE's subsidiary websites, should we expect to only find IIS?

There's no rule that says NBC has to only go to MS.  The most likely scenario is they opened up the olympic contract for bidding, and the JSP shop won.  It means nothing about the relationship with MS.

Why did the Linux conference have an IIS server?  Same reason.  An ASP shop won the bidding.

I swear people make things so much harder than they need to be.

Conspiracy Anti-Theorist
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I'm not saying that it shouldn't happen the way it does, I'm just saying it sends a message.

The proof? The first post.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

It sends a message to wackos like the OP.  The rest of us normal folks are largely unaffected.  There's a name for finding odd connections and patterns in unrelated things...

muppet
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

statistician?  :-)

Dennis Forbes
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I was thinking schizophrenic but really what's the difference?

muppet
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Mark,

Your analogy is seriously flawed. McDonalds makes hamburgers, as does Wendy's. So yeah, it would look pretty bad to see McWorkers heading to Wendy's.

NBC isn't owned by Microsoft and doesn't even produce software for sale. It is involved in a venture with MS. That hardly means that all of NBC must be 100% MS. That's utter nonsense.

George Orwell
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

I would surmise that even the OP doesn't believe that, and was more concerned with ruffling feathers.  Someone could write an entire article about Occham's Razor and how it relates to Flame Wars.

Conspiracy Anti-Theorist
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yeah ok, I really don't care anyway, it's a silly discussion.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Though for the record, NBC.com is Apache.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The OP's assertion is ridiculous.  People read way too much into this stuff.

The Open Source Development Lab recently posted a job ad for a Sys Admin position ( http://www.osdl.org/about_osdl/jobs/system_administrator.html/document_view ).  The position requires both Linux and MS admin skills.  By the OP's logic, this would mean that the OSS world is bowing down to MS.

Yet another anon
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

>I was thinking schizophrenic but really what's the difference?<

50% of all statisticians are not schizophrenic; the other 100% probably are...

Data Miner
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Does NBC run the Olympics then? Silly me, I thought it was done by the IOC.

Yeah, NBC is running the Oyimpics.
And of course the web site is EVERYTHING you have to provide for the Olympics.
I mean no need for data storage and management for the whole event. Just the web site. That's all the technology used. And it should be .net
If not, Microsoft are loosing again... :) :) :)

Boris Yankov

Guys, you can make an olympic worthy website with VBScript, Access, and a bunch of c and perl programs with fewer lines of code than mod_perl. It isn't that hard. It really depends on the architecture. There are papers you can study on pass olympic sites (1996, 1998 was ran by IBM) written by the IBM olympic website team that are eye-openers. Your biggest bottleneck remains the database, and how stupid most common server are at load distributions or conserving processing power under massive concurrent accesses.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, August 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home