Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Accounting Pattern or system from scratch?

anyone here use Fowler's "Accounting Pattern" or develop an accounting system from scratch?

NeedToRemainAnon
Monday, August 16, 2004

I have to ask. I've come accross many posts that omit the 's' as in "anyone know where I could find one?". Is that an elision of "[does] anyone know...", technically? If not, is that correct English?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Monday, August 16, 2004

Sathyaish Chakravarthy,
The english troll to rule them all.

Anon
Monday, August 16, 2004

Anon,

Darling, you are back. I'm so glad. Now, shall we play King-kong and Godzilla?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Monday, August 16, 2004

I don't know if it's correct, but it's certainly a common usage in the American midwest.

OP: Sorry I can't help you. I've been involved in the purchase of a number of different accounting packages, all of which required at least some modification. I think I'd rather be boiled in oil than write an accounting package from scratch.

Rob VH
Monday, August 16, 2004

I'd rather play Donkey Kong.

Mario
Monday, August 16, 2004

Think carefully before writing one from scratch.

Seriously.

I've worked on one and the business rules are fiendishly complex. They can be a maintenance nightmare and unless you happen to be an accountant you'll definitely need a business analyst who knows their stuff.

TheGeezer
Monday, August 16, 2004

I'll second the Geezer. Try reading up on multi-currency. If that doesn't shake your desire to write something from scratch, then I suggest a head-candling might be in order :)

Ron Porter
Monday, August 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home