Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anyone familiar with WorldPay?

Hi All,

I'm begining to set up a store section on our website. Thus, I'm going through the amazingly convoluted process of setting up a way to accept credit card payments. I've read all of the previous posts about this here and I'm looking through my options.

Based on a few hours of googling, WorldPay appears to be one of the better options for an all-in-one merchant account/gateway/fraud protection service. Does/has anyone here used them or know anything about them?

Any other tips on this would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

--Josh

JWA
Sunday, August 15, 2004

Josh,

worldpay is Bank of Scotland. On my side of the planet (Oz)  they want $A570 setup fee upfront, it may well differ  where you are.

Have a look at this site providing a comparison chart for a number of payment services you may wish to consider:

http://www.regshare.com/

One of my own concerns in selling online worldwide was nett cash in hand here in Aussie dollars - again that may not be important to you.

Banks become interesting when you want to offer credit online through your OWN merchant facility. Whether your transaction level will support this initial outlay in money and effort is something for you to decide.

We prefer to be told by email about each sale, and receive monthly nett payments without further admin.

Conversely everybody, is it worth us considering offering our clients the option to pay by Paypal? We've heard some stories ---

trollop
Sunday, August 15, 2004

I remember that the now defunct Wrox Press used them for their subscription fees to ASPToday.com.

Mark Hoffman
Sunday, August 15, 2004

Paypal is awkward because it requires manual processing for each sale.

I've used Digibuy for a few years, and have had no problems. You can either direct buyers to an order page of your design hosted on their site, and upload a batch of registration codes, then it sends you an email for each sale and gives out the next code in the list. Or, you can collect everything yourself and call their script, then it'll call back to your site when the sale goes through (usually within seconds).

Shareware Lou
Sunday, August 15, 2004

"Conversely everybody, is it worth us considering offering our clients the option to pay by Paypal? We've heard some stories ---"

A friend of mine ran an online store using PayPal. He watched traffic analysis, and noticed that a *lot* of people were putting shopping carts together, going to checkout, and then leaving when they hit the PayPal page.

When he switched to credit card ordering, his sales tripled.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, August 15, 2004

"Paypal is awkward because it requires manual processing for each sale. "

Not true, Paypal can send some information to your server for each transaction, even handle subscriptions, usernames and ID's for you.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 15, 2004

Paypal, deservedly or no, has a horrible reputation online.  Personally, I've never had any problems using them, but my volume has been low.

muppet
Sunday, August 15, 2004

I think paypal is great for lending credibility and safety to what otherwise might be a shady transaction - sending money to someone you don't know (like eBay purchases).

You don't hand your credit card over to some creep, nor do you have to get off your butt and get a postal money order.

Transactions where you want to build yourself up as a reputable company, well, paypal detracts from that for precisely the same reasons... It's the medium of sending money when you don't trust the other person.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home