Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Non-pathetic sw work?

After the "VS.NET UI tester girl" thread I'm wondering what do you think, what is the most pathetic software work? And how about your work?

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Given that most jobs arise out of a need, I don't believe any work given to someone who needs it or wants it is pathetic.  It must have a purpose however insignificant that purpose is in your eyes.

No doubt whatever you do is something I would consider to be pathetic. 

muppet

aren't we done with the muppet impersonation?

muppet

Will the real muppet please stand up.  Please stand up.

muppet

Hero worship.  I can dig it.

muppet

Sharepoint rules!  Yay for me!

philo

Will someone please give me a golden shower and/or a pearl necklace?!

muppet
Sunday, August 15, 2004

The most pathetic software work goes to those who must maintain 'old' legacy equipment, long after its own manufacturers have ceased support for it.

We're talking S100 systems using CP/M to support signal switches built in the '80's (designed in the '70's, thus CP/M).  We're talking VAX VMS using Fortran 77. 

It's pathetic because it gets no respect.  It gets nothing that you can put on your resume and know the next employer you show it to will be impressed.  It's pathetic because by now all the original documentation has been lost or burned, yet support is still required. 

It's pathetic because once you get into one of these roles, you quickly become irreplaceable -- no one else will take the job, or has the expertise if they did.  Yet the job is low status -- there's no place else that will hire you with that expertise, so your current employer doesn't HAVE to give you really good raises, and would be dumb to do so.

The only hope in a situation like this is to jump to a new company when the economy is heating up -- to somebody who will give you a chance with a more modern technology.  Or, if your original employer takes pity on you, and gives you a 'modern' task 50% of the time, so you have SOMETHING to put on your resume.

AllanL5
Sunday, August 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home