Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Are these guys serious?

I just read this bio page on MSFT:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/team/bios/SARAF/

The girl says he is a tester for the docking windows. But only for the controls not the content of those controls.

Does she spend several years of her life on that?

Where do you want to work for Microsoft?

Friday, August 13, 2004

These people are usability experts. Most of the time they do good work. But they are the geniuses behind things like Dockable menus, Clippit and so on.

Believe me, testing for usability is a pain. I spend 1 month doing it, (part time) for my freeware tool. You need to test weird things like keyboard shortcuts, how it looks with different screen resolutions, different themes etc. And my applicaiton was very plain. No fancy stuff. Even your toooltips have to follow standards (Title case, color, length ) etc. Your menus have to follow standards.  And they need to document all these.

Karthik
Friday, August 13, 2004

FWIW, she does Accesibility testing as well.

Someone at MS could verify, but my WAG would be that Accessibilty is her primary job function and that each tester is also parceled out some set of UI features to "own" and constantly test in depth.

Chris Altmann
Friday, August 13, 2004

"Does she spend several years of her life on that?"

Hey, it's honest labor, she works for a great company and if it makes her happy and she is fufilled in what she does then she's ahead of the game.

Steve-O
Friday, August 13, 2004

Years ago in my hometown (a GM factory town) I looked at a car that was being offered in the classifieds by a Delco engineer.  The guy told me when we took a test drive that his job was designing windshield wiper blades. 

I was in engineering school at the time. Boy, did that ever 'resonate'...  sounded like the kind of job that my profs with their statics, dynamics and infatuation with slide rules would get misty eyed over. Completely geek and narrow over specialization.

However - my guess is that the vast majority of techies working in incredibly narrow niches don't stay there very long... perhaps 3-5 years at VERY most.  Perhaps a technology shift, but more likely the employer's changing priorities, will eventually propel them into something else.

IE: how could technology slow sufficiently to allow someone to make a whole career out of something so marginal?

So - yeah, I think these people are serious. As counterintuitive as it sounds. The job market doesn't exactly reward renaissance men unless they are self employed with their own product.

Bored Bystander
Friday, August 13, 2004

how could technology slow signficanly to allow this? isn't the speed of technology a good bit what allows people to specialize? High productivity means people can specialize. Speciailization means people are more productive.

Adam smith?

Zane
Saturday, August 14, 2004

muppet, any comments in this thread?

What?

Adam Smith

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home