Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Charles Simonyi hold a Phd and get things done!

The man has shipped world class application and has a Phd

So Eric Sink, Joel S. :

Do you qualify him as a SuperMan ?

RasterBlaster
Friday, August 13, 2004

Hungarian notation. Immediate disqualification.

KayJay
Friday, August 13, 2004

question_Whats  word_Wrong  prep_With country_Hungarian noun_Notation ?

Martin Beckett
Friday, August 13, 2004

I've said before:  a PhD is merely a predictor which tells me that the person is not likely to be a good fit in an ISV. 

If we already know that someone obviously has product skills, we no longer need the predictor, and the PhD becomes irrelevant, or even a positive.

I simply believe people with both sets of skills are rare.  I don't know Simonyi, but he seems like an example of this rare breed.

Eric Sink
Friday, August 13, 2004

I don't know.  Everything I've read about his current project/company smacks of PhD-ish Pie-in-the-Sky-ism.

I still wouldn't hire the guy.  Seriously.

Mr.Fancypants
Friday, August 13, 2004

I would definitely hire him. Can you even begin to grasp all the contacts he has?

Ogami Itto
Friday, August 13, 2004

Joel on Simonyi:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000034.html

Patrick FitzGerald
Friday, August 13, 2004

When you say PhD might not be a good fit for an ISV, you mean ISV's that aren't like Google, right?  And when you say "aren't like Google", how would you define that?  Difference in goal?  (i.e. you can't figure out what to do with a Ph.D to generate income?)

devinmoore.com
Friday, August 13, 2004

Google isn't an ISV.

Mr.Fancypants
Friday, August 13, 2004

"When you say PhD might not be a good fit for an ISV, you mean ISV's that aren't like Google, right?"

I think he means small ISV.  One without a pie-in-the-sky R&D department.

Jim Rankin
Friday, August 13, 2004

The title of this thread *so* reads like a spam subject line!

Alex
Friday, August 13, 2004

A PhD is a research degree. You do relatively little course work. PhD's are trained to be teachers and researchers, producers of new knowledge. Writing "boring" but solid, reliable software on time isn't quite what they spend their graduate careers training to do. It's just not much of a good fit. Why would they want to write a Word clone or something? It's a waste of their time and talent.

Warren
Sunday, August 15, 2004

Yeah why would they want to write a ... oh hey what about Knuth?

Kalani
Monday, August 16, 2004

Actually in most big schools with PhD programs (I did mine at the U of MN) there is virtually no training in actual teaching -- they mostly just throw you in the classroom.

Jeff Kotula
Monday, August 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home