Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Mozilla vs wxWindows

Does any of you have any experience developing GUI's using XUL? I'm trying to make up my mind about what I should use, but I can't get there. Do I go for wxWindows or XUL? Both of them are alien to me (wxWindows not that much) and I was wondering if anyone has any usefull pointers.

RP
Friday, August 13, 2004

Mozilla/XUL development is an extremely steep and  high learning curve, once that has been achieved though you can get very productive and produce high quality UI.

wxWindows is, if your familiar with the regular Windows/GDI windowing APIs much quicker to develop with from scratch but is just the UI.

Using XUL gives you a complete platform with network protocol support, security and a portable COM object framework.

Simon Lucy
Friday, August 13, 2004

I haven't used Mozilla, so I can't offer any comparative advice.

I have, however, used wxPython which is a Python binding over wxWindows. This was the best GUI development scheme I've ever used! Most productive, easy, well-supported by its community. How much of that was due to Python vs. wxWindows I can't honestly say, but I did like the design of wxWindows and felt it would've been a better choice than Qt (which other parts of my organization were using).

Jeff Kotula
Friday, August 13, 2004

I second the recommendation for wxWindows (now wxWidgets).  I have a lot experience with the win32 api, MFC, and have made patches for some lesser-known open-source cross-platform GUI sdk's.  wxWindows is easy, efficient, uses native controls where appropriate, and provides excellent layout abilities (via wxSizer).  It's definitely the best GUI toolkit I've used.

I'd recommend XUL only if your application will benefit from access to the mozilla API.  wx has some network api's and html rendering api's, but nothing even remotely on the same level. 

Ben Allison
Friday, August 13, 2004

And for the best of all worlds wxMozilla
You can embed a copy of mozilla as a widget in wxWindows.

Try wxPython first - it's a great development enviroment and if you need the speed it translates pretty easily into wxWindows/C++

Martin Beckett
Friday, August 13, 2004

Having been a long way down both roads, I say go with wxWindows (preferably wxPython).

XUL/XBL/XPCOM is very good at some things but is not quite there as development platform. Yet.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/

fool for python
Friday, August 13, 2004

I haven't used XUL, but wxWidgets is by far the best GUI interface library I've used.  I think that possibly the VCL looks a little nicer, but wxWidgets components are easier to extend when you need your grid control to go the extra mile or a better image window.

I won't go with the Python recomendation, but that's mostly because I don't advise people to sit around playing with their snake when they should be getting things done.  I just had to deal with a hatefully slow python app that make a five minute task take half an hour.

Clay Dowling
Saturday, August 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home