Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How to market if nobody knows me

I have submit my soft to all the download sites and now I am waiting my visa card (I have applied for it ). If I got my visa, I will pay tucows, download.net and google to do what should be done. I am studying my rivals's product to learn how to advertise. I am also writing some articles which will be post to codeguru and codeproject ( my possible soft users visit the both sites)

Now the question is what else I can do to make my soft known (now I am just nobody and my soft in same situation).

Tomorrow, should I walk into a big company and said "hi, I have a killer-app, you want to buy one copy?" ( I read an article that a Chinese company did the same thing to Ericsson lab and succeeded.)

Then how to begin if I do not want to be kicked out?
I knew nothing about how a company  buy sharewares (buy copies, not source code!)?

Another idea is that I develop some open-source tools and let those free tools advertise for me (like inno setup?)

Or I just setup a forum and post my article on the site such as http://www.redonsoftware.com?

redguardtoo
Friday, August 13, 2004

Why the hell do you keep saying 'soft' instead of 'software'.  That might make the sales process a wee bit difficult.

LH
Friday, August 13, 2004

Get a MBA in Marketing mate!

RasterBlaster
Friday, August 13, 2004

Go find Eric Sink's articles and read them.

Miles Archer
Friday, August 13, 2004

==>Then how to begin if I do not want to be kicked out?

If you can't handle rejection, then you won't be able to successfully market and sell your app. Many (most ?) of the folks you contact will simply be too busy, won't have the budget, won't care for yet another sales weenie selling them something they don't want or need, they already have one, they have a competitors product, they don't like the way you look, or the color of your shirt, or ...

You get the picture : rejection is part of the game.

Sgt. Sausage
Friday, August 13, 2004

1. Send free copies to software reviewers to review for their magazines/websites and hope you get a review published.

2. Send a press release to all software magazines or whatever trade this software is targeted for announcing your product and how it's going to revolutionize __________.

3. Post on forums (not an ad, but respond to questions asked or ask your own questions) and in your signature, include your product name and URL.

Chris
Friday, August 13, 2004

> How to market if nobody knows me

That's a hard problem. Ignore hard problems. Let's look for a simple problem.

How about this one:

I am a customer and I don't know who's good? Can you advice?

Gee, sounds unsettling like the first one, yet simpler to solve. Make a resolve to talk to all the professionals you admire, and 1) promise to mention them whenever the chance arrise 2) meet your promise, and remind the customer benefiting from the reference to mention the fact that you referenced them 3) ensure the professionals you know can reference you properly. Leave a proper stack of business cards. Call them often to ensure they remember you, not just as Joe IT, but as a real friend.

That should answer the problem. Your unknown customers are everywhere, and they will just about flag down anyone to give them a reference. If you do your homework right the references leads to you.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, August 13, 2004

Did you identify who might be interested in buying your software before you wrote it?  If so, go and find those people and talk to them or advertise to them.  If not.....

Friday, August 13, 2004

Run through town naked.

(For extra credit, tell the local TV station and police before you do it.)

a
Saturday, August 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home