Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Common MVC framework for Java & .NET?

Anyone have any comments or ideas about a common MVC framework for both Java & .NET?  We have an app that we develop in both Java & .NET (standards-based, so only core-code is runtime-specific).  I'm not so sure that I want to simply adopt STRUTS and code our own classes in .NET to use a struts config file, nor do I want to do the reverse and go 100% with UIPAB.

Any reasonsable framework patterns that would be easy to use for both?  The key for me is agility in refactoring the application.  IMHO, Struts is WAY overkill for this app (15-20 views, at most), but we need some sort of hybrid "ViewController", and I'd like some opinions on what might be a good fit for functionality and agility.

A.D. Kent
Friday, August 13, 2004

A lot of the benefits of the Struts package are secondary to MVC, having to do with implementations of tag libraries that weren't in the JSTL yet.

I've been building an app in Struts recently, and I've found that a lot of what it offers is peripheral to MVC; general JSP stuff that exists only because there wasn't a better standard alternative.  If you look at what is actually core MVC stuff, it's not a lot, so you would probably want to avoid struts and consider coding your own lightweight MVC architecture off that pattern.

Justin Johnson
Friday, August 13, 2004

The web MVC framework Spring [1] is lighter weight than Struts and probably more along the lines of what you're thinking. Bonus for your case: someone is developing a Spring.NET as well.

[1] http://www.springframework.org/

Chris Winters
Sunday, August 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home