Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

what to do

i've mentioned on the forum that i'm not thrilled about the my new job (where I have been for 3 months). There was a lot of talk in the interview about an migration to .NET, which seems to be going slow/nowhere. The reality is the job is debugging spaghetti code.

the day after i accepted the verbal offer here (yes, 3 mos ago), i was contacted by another software dev company wanting to interview me. I had supported/used this product before. I looked recently on a job board and i see 3 open positions.

so do i contact them? i have an email for the head of development, so i thought just about an email. keep in mind, they were a VB6 app. I have no idea how serious they are about upgrading to .net. how do i know if the situation is any better. frankly, i have heard through the grapevine that they are losing customers because of the lack of technology.  in my current job (3 mos), we are using access/vba.

thoughts?

Patrick
Thursday, August 12, 2004

wherever you go, there you are.

josheli

Sure, contact them.  Via phone/interview try to determine if they offer a better position than the one you have.  If you never investigate, you'll never know...

Chris Peacock

josheli: monkeyboy.

Thom Lawrence

"The reality is the job is debugging spaghetti code."

This is the reality of most programming jobs.  A good programmer can take spaghetti code, and bit by bit, make it better. 

Not saying you should stay.  Just understand that much programming work is this way. 

Crackhead

i know i will contact them next april (after spending a year here), its just i'm curious if they are closer with moving to .net then my current place.

Patrick

==>The reality is the job is debugging spaghetti code.

Every job I ever had was this way. You can't avoid it.

It's one of the (many) reasons I jumped ship and did things on my own.

At least now, it's my own spaghetti code I get to debug <grin>

Sgt. Sausage

"At least now, it's my own spaghetti code I get to debug <grin> "

Yep. Been there. Still there <g>.

My 9 year old code base is working fine, but I'm afraid to add new features. Luckily, the customers are happy where it's at.

Mr.Analogy (ISV owner)

Sigh... Never believe anyone who has vague promises of something going to happen "real soon now."

I have been sold bills of goods on Java, Windows, C#, "web based," at various interviews at various times.

And when I start, it's the same old same old ancient code, that was trailing edge technology back in 1987 and is even worse now.

frustrated

BTW, spaghetti code comes in many flavors.  Don't think because you use .NET you wont' have spaghetti.  It'll just be spaghetti with meatballs.  ;)  ASP Spaghetti has the positive benefit of being limited to the number of language features you can mangle and abuse.  .NET lets you screw up so many more things...

ASP Spaghetti has lots of nested includes, undeclared variables, response.redirects, and on error resume nexts.

.NET Spaghetti has lots of useless interfaces, fragile base classes, obscure uses of threads, syncrhonization, delegates, and events, random code implementing IDisposable and ICloneable for no reason.  I could go on...

Crackhead

All code is spaghetti code except to the man who created it in the first place.

Ogami Itto

+++All code is spaghetti code except to the *man* who created it in the first place.+++

sexist.

muppet

muppet, are you female?

Just curious.

curiousAboutMuppet

Damn, I'm glad I read this thread.  Seriously.  I'm in my second week of a new job, and the first where I'm working with a large inherited code base instead of working from scratch.  And it is a godawful mess.  Globals left and right, obsolete code that was never removed, circular logic, bad variable names ("aardvark"?)...and did I mention all the global variables?

I won't say what programming language it is, just in case some people here have a prejudice against VBA.  But I do know that it feels awkward to have a list of things to do and realize that I'll have to do a hell of a lot of cleanup before I can accomplish any of them.  I'm glad to hear that this is a normal situation, because it was disturbing me.

I think I'm going to start a new thread...

Kyralessa

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Having said that, is usually different grass too. 

I find it difficult to write similarly long thoughts.

I guess you can tell that it's Friday now, huh?

devinmoore.com
Friday, August 13, 2004

"All code is spaghetti code except to the man who created it in the first place."

Nonsense.  I've read non-spaghetti code that was developed by others.

T. Norman
Friday, August 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home