Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anyone install WinXp Service Pack 2 yet?

Any issues or things to be aware of before installing the latest service pack?

OldManFromNantucket
Thursday, August 12, 2004

I installed it and everything works fine.  It's been 5 or 6 days now and I haven't seen a problem.

I was a little surprized because there have been a lot of reports of things not working, but all I can say is "works for me".

just a guy

Works for me too. No issues.

Giampiero De Ciantis

Installed it last night, no issues so far. Halo still runs, which was all I really cared about on that box anyway. :-)

Chris Tavares

I slipstreamed it and burned a new CD, reformatted, and reinstalled.

It was so sweet to go to Windows Update, and it says I have no security updates to download.

It's been working fine this far.

I installed the betas, so the changes weren't foreign to me.  You may wish to get familiar with it on a scrap machine.

Walt

I've installed it on 4 machines so far, and three of them worked fine.  The fourth one (my main work laptop) doesn't work, and I've had to back it out.  Once I've installed it, I get an error in the event log about "COM+ Event System" not working when I try to bring up Component Manager.  It also breaks an application I'm developing that needs COM+, so for now, I can't update.

Corey

I had to reboot it a few more times to get it to work. Now I can do things like: open acrobat, print web pages.

Peter

Installed.

Works fine.

No problems with any of my apps.

The interface for the built in firewall is extremely slick.

The popup blocker works pretty well too.  It is (correctly) blocking a lot of stuff that the google toolbar let through.

Mr.Fancypants

Absolutely no problem at all. Also surprised to hear all the complains.

Ogami Itto

Works fine.  The install did take 20 minutes (not counting the download time) on a P4 1.8.

John

I read scuttlebutt that SP 2 creates problems for Visual Studio 6.0.... anyone?

Bored Bystander

My VC 6.0 works fine, as well as 7.1.

Walt
Friday, August 13, 2004

INstalled on Windows XP Pro running on Virtual PC.  (It's a test "computer".

Took about an hour or so to install, but it seemed to go smoothly.

Haven't tested much yet.

Mr.Analogy (ISV owner)
Friday, August 13, 2004

I've installed SP2 RC2 on XP Pro weeks ago, and SP2 final a few days ago. One obscure copy protection was broken, that's all. Everything else worked fine.

Chris Nahr
Friday, August 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home