Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Does JBoss suck?

I know that guy who writes the BileBlog really hates it.  I've been using it a bit and it's quirks didn't really bother me.  Sure documentation sucked and then you had to buy it and it was little better.  Yes it took a long time to start up.  Yes a bunch of JBoss people went on websites and talked it up under fake names.

Lately I've noticed that if I don't access it for a few days it stops responding to incoming requests.  It could be something I've done wrong but it still seems like bad default behavior.

Does anyone on this forum have sufficient, in depth experience with JBoss to tell me whether it sucks or not?

name withheld out of cowardice
Thursday, August 12, 2004

I don't know about JBoss, but MyBoss is definitely suck

yes, i have used JBoss for 1 year. My experience i quit good. And it is free even for commercial use, full documentation costs for 99$ in year (but i got it for free :)

Dont say JBoss suck, if your skills suck

IJ

I will forgive you because your english skills seem poor.  I did not say "JBoss suck".  I asked if JBoss sucks.  It is a semi-humorous way of asking people's opinions of JBoss.

My skills are just fine.

Maybe it does suck, but that seems irrelevant: as the leading Open Source J2EE "heavy" container (as opposed to "lite" containers like TomCat), it's being used on more and more projects.

Personally I don't think they have a strong brand -- if Geronimo becomes a strong contender, I think people will just as happily switch to it instead.

Portabella

"I asked if JBoss sucks"

you dang person!  you said it agian!!!  JBoss do not suck!!!

IJ

Curse you IJ imposer!

JBoss rocks.

I've never used it myself, but a friend of mine works for them now programming it, so I'm sticking up for him, cause he's a good guy.

Kyralessa

probably not.

I'm no JBoss expert but have used JBoss with embedded Tomcat a fair bit. I've never had connection problems after leaving it a few days and it seems to do its job even if not blindingly fast.

And, it provides fodder for the Bileblog...

Slough Bloke

I've used JBoss for over 2 years, but not super in-depth.  My gut reaction is to say it doesn't suck, but its not great either.  There is no good documentation for it, and its sort of arcane to play around with.    The funny thing is, we didn't need JBoss.  We would have been fine with tomcat, and honestly, tomcat just seems to have a lot less quirks.  Now, obvoiusly, it tries to do a lot less,  but with Jboss you'll occasionally see exceptions being thrown when you startup, and after hours and hours of searching the forums, you find out that its not a big deal.  Hope this helps.

vince

Yes, it helps.

We could just use TomCat but what if one wants EJBs and/or JMS?

Friday, August 13, 2004

If you really need EJBs, I would go with JBoss.  I looked into using EJBs extensivly, and came to the conclusion that you don't really need them unless your doing heavy amounts of transactions, and distributed transactions at that.  Entity beans are great in theory, but just too over the top and constricting, IMO.  As for JMS, I *believe* there are JMS containers that can function as a standalone system, so you wouldn't need JBOSS or even tomcat.  I've never used them so I'm not sure though.

vince
Friday, August 13, 2004

There are other free J2EE container implementations worth considering, such as Jonas.

Daryl Oidy
Sunday, August 15, 2004

I agree about Entity beans.  Oddly, I find the most useful EJB to be the Message Driven Bean

Monday, August 16, 2004

Personally, I'd be using Orion in preference if I needed full EJBs, but even before that I'd be looking to see if Resin would supply enough J2EE over and above the basic servlet stuff. 

It's got some CMB & JMS code in there...  What with that or Spring & Hibernate, there are very few cases that *need* a full J2EE server these days.

Gwyn Evans
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home