Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Notworking

Our ADSL went out when the ISP's feeders bigmalfed a network upgrade. So what we thought-  we'll work locally until normal service is restored - except that by some coincidence, Samba on our main Linux file server went away as well.

There was nothing apparently wrong on either our primary or our backup Linux fileservers, (both within our simple NAT router),  smbd running, nothing strange in the logs, except that neither box offered the network shares and mappings they have been providing for yonks. No problems accessing the boxes over the internal network using Putty/SSH, the servers could be seen in My Network Places/Network Neighborhood but no shares - *Network is busy*.  Sod it, all our useful files are now out of reach, the internet's out of reach,  thanks a BUNCH, Telstra.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/12/1092102570998.html

Admin's not our main suit you may gather.  To cap it off the dishwasher decided to irrigate the office kitchen floor - trouble comes in 3's.

Cut to the chase, nothing was fixed except dinner by dinnertime, and  though we now know more about linux admin, diagnostics, etc than we did earlier in the day, we could not fathom the reason.

Then when ADSL service was restored, so was Samba's, (I'll allow just possibly again by coincidence),  but if there is a causal connection, how in blazes does an external ADSL connection problem affect internal LAN functioning?

I'd rather not be exposed to this, what to do?

Also trolling at www.whirlpool.net.au for answers.

trollop
Thursday, August 12, 2004

Perhaps some mysterious DNS dependency (depending on your setup) or else your router was stuck in a strange way?  What happens if you just yank the uplink cable?  Have you looked at the good stuff under /var/log?

Protocol adventurer

There are two general ways.

Either the gateway route for the Samba server is pointed at some address the other side of the router.

Or, more likely, your DNS is being resolved only externally so all DNS requests need to go out across the ADSL.

Simon Lucy

Someone confused the server with the dishwasher?

Miles Archer

I agree, it is probably a DNS issue.  Set up a local name server on your linux box and add entries for your internal machines.

Jon Lindbo

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home