Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows XP SP2 and SQL Server 2000

According to the BBC, Windows XP SP2 "Causes problems with SQL Server 2000".

Does anyone know what these problems are, and what can be done about them ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3557952.stm

Nemesis
Thursday, August 12, 2004

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839279

Just me (Sir to you)

Looks like it might be more serious than that after all:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Sql+Server+2000+XP+SP2

Nemesis

Seems like the rest is due to the firewall being turned on and the ports for SQL Server not opened by defeult.

Just me (Sir to you)

Thanks Sir.

I guess if I install it, I'll just disable the firewall and all will be well.

I'm hiding behind a hardware firewall/router anyway, so I doubt the Windows Firewall would increase my protection.

Nemesis

The two problems I had with the Release Candidate install (apart from it rebooting several times), were that it incorrectly identified the hardware as having changed since it was activated and I had to go activate it again; and it blocked the AVG software putting up a dialog saying did I want to unblock it.

Two things occurred to me.

1.  Either their hardware identification code is broken, or they're comparing the hardware with some database back at home and as the last activation was probably a different machine but same licence number (as its a Universal MSDN licence).  Activating it again wasn't much of a problem for little me, but if the latter is true then those with other Volume licences aren't going to be best pleased at activating a whole slew of machines over again.

2.  If in their zealotry to protect the end user they actually give the user the option to switch off their anti virus then I can see corporate installations again becoming less secure and not more secure.

Simon Lucy

"If in their zealotry to protect the end user they actually give the user the option to switch off their anti virus then I can see corporate installations again becoming less secure and not more secure"

How would you fix this? The only way would be to have an antivirus API which didn't stop application automation.

I'd say it would be a matter of hours before *that* was copied by virus writers... :-/

Philo

Philo

So its beyond the wit of the install developers to understand those kernel hook applications, such as any of the Anti virus software, identify them, unhook them in the process of upgrading and then re-hooking them after the installation is complete?

The behaviour as it is breaks the rule that you don't screw with the current installation when you upgrade.  Ok, yes it asks the user if they want to reenable it but what about those users that don't have a clue what AV software they have running? 

Should the regular user be allowed to either enable or disable something which was only installed with administrative permissions?

Simon Lucy

> I'm hiding behind a hardware firewall/router anyway, so I doubt the Windows Firewall would increase my protection.

Okay, unless you paid more than USD$50 for your hardware router, I would remind you that your vendor may care less about the on-going security of your hardware router than you might think. Although many vendors (Dlink, Linksys, SMC) has been doing a commendable job patching the firmware (the logic that controls the router) to the various hardware routers they sell, many users don't patch them or some _may have_ serious holes after all. You are better off raising a few more defenses as long as it costs you nothing. Okay, don't exactly erect a giant fortress with your Windows XP firewall, but at least use XP(, Zone Alarm, Black Ice) to do Application Firewalls and watch uncommon port accesses.

Li-fan Chen

Simon, I don't think you have a volume license key edition. They never need activating (It's a separate CD from the regular MSDN edition with it's own key)

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, August 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home