Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Empower Termination

I signed up for Empower in May of this year, and today I received an email from Microsoft informing me that my membership has ended, and I have graduated from the program - did anyone else get one of these (presumably in error)?

Two other little nuggests. It states:

"Please note that the Microsoft Empower Program for ISVs is not renewable, so you will not be able to join the program again."

Wrong. It is renewable for a second year.

"With your membership termination, all program benefits including MSDN Universal Edition development and testing licenses, as well as internal licenses have lapsed, and your organization will need to cease using them immediately"

This one is an interesting one, as the MSDN Universal license explicitly gives you leave to use the software, for the purposes stated, for perpetuity - even after your subscription has expired.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, August 12, 2004

Is it, possibly, a hoax?

John Q Tester

This is very interesting.

If you sign up for Empower ISV, and then the program expires, can you still use the programs from MSDN Universal?

MX

The licence expires, however I doubt anything actually happens.  You're expected to graduate into the full Partner Program after that.

Simon Lucy

So... at the end of the Empower ISV, if I don't buy all the licenses again, BSA (MS Police) comes in, finds the boxes of MSDN Universal and the software running on our computers, and sentences us to many years in prison?

Or are we allowed to continue to use the programs from MSDN Universal?

MX

BSA itself doesn't come in, they send The Weasel through the air ducts.

http://news.com.com/Ferreting+out+copyright+scofflaws/2100-1012_3-5303966.html

Edward

I got the same message as well. I will see what happens. I am trying to contact my Empower  Contact.

Mark Corry

I also had the same message, since its not even 12 months my guess its a general screw up.

Simon Lucy

According to the Man, a number of these emails went out spuriously, but some of them were for real.  So if you're sure your subsciption isn't going to end in the next week or so you can forget about it.

Personally though I feel happier having talked to them and confirmed that they've got the correct beginning of the subscription.

Simon Lucy

Mistaken dates aside, I would think that the bait and switch on the terms is more worrisome.

Justin Johnson

What switch?  The terms are as they were, you still have the ability to extend the subscription into a second year.

Simon Lucy

While the email implies that there is no renewal (as originally there was not, and presumably they never upated it. As a sidenote, I found the email "prickish"), that isn't what I'm finding interesting : I find it interesting that while a normal MSDN subscription expiration does _not_ stop your right to use the software included with the subscription (you can use whatever MSDN software you received forever), apparently, albeit confusingly unconfirmed (there has been information both ways), the Empower for ISV program puts a special disclaimer on the MSDN license that it expires at the end of your Empower agreement. In other words it ISN'T an MSDN Universal Subscription, but rather is a "time limited" MSDN Universal Subscription (again - a `real' MSDN subscription allows you to continue to use the software after your subscription expires).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/faq/

"When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they still valid?
MSDN Subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their subscription has expired."

As a sidnote the MSDN subscription licensing sheet you get specifically includes the above disclaimer (that you can continue using the software after expiration), so I don't think the Empower people did their homework very well.

Dennis Forbes

Yep, that last point is the one I'm relying on.

Simon Lucy

As an update on this, as expected I got another email informing me that it was a mistake, and everything is still fine.

Dennis Forbes

If anyone needs clarification on this program,
please call me.
Walter

1-877-568-2495 ext.26004
Microsoft Canada

Walter
Friday, August 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home