Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Odd %HOMEDRIVE% value when moving "Docs&Settings"

Hi all!

I've just re-installed my PC and, to keep up with the times, I've installed W2003.

After installing the OS, I've tried to move the \Documents and Settings dir to another partition as I usually do (to E:\HOME, to be precise)

I've booted the PC using ERD Commander, XCOPY'ed the files to another Partition preserving the ACL, and modified the registry entries to point to that location.
(on HKLM\SW\MS\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Explorer,  HKLM\SW\MS\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and such).

Now, all seems to be OK inasmuch as I can boot, load my profile, and the dirs and such seem to be working OK. BUT when I open up a CMD, al env. vars are OK, EXCEPT that
HOMEDRIVE is set to C:\

I've googled about, and the HOMEDRIVE var is supposed to come from the location of the user profile.

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<SID>\ProfileImagePath points to the correct place (E:\HOME\UserName), and all "new" user accounts are created there, BUT in all cases the HOMEDRIVE var is set to c: !!!

I've tried changing the PROFILE location in Local Users and Groups, but that only makes the profile "roaming", and the HOMEDRIVE var is still set to C:

I've done this previously on other Systems (W2000 and WXP) and have never found this problem. The rest of env. vars (USERPROFILE, HOMEPATH, etc) have the proper values, but this one does not...

Apart from that, all seems to be working fine, but this is something I don't like, as there seem to be quite a few programs that use %HOMEDRIVE%

Any pointers / suggestions / etc

Javier Jarava
Thursday, August 12, 2004

Windows 2003 is a server edition. You're subjecting yourself to a lot of pain, if you go that way for a desktop machine. I used it for a couple of weeks, only to find out that the soundboard drivers were constantly failing.

Ogami Itto

I am aware that W2003 is a server ed.

I am upgrading from W2000 SERVER. The company I work for has a product that has client and server components, and I am supposed to be the "fire fighter" on our clients... so that's why I was using W2000 Server before and want to use W2003 SERVER as a desktop system, because there are always "oddball" cases (namely others like me :)  whose problems have to be solved. Also, because the best way of "getting to know" an OS is to use it daily, I think...

For instance, I had never found this strange behaviour in previous work on XP, 2000... so in that regard the experience is useful... at least to a point, supposing that I can "grok" why this behaviour is happening...

Javier Jarava

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841238&Product=winsvr2003

Just me (Sir to you)

Thanks!!

I guess I'll have to wait a little to see if this "bites" me in any painfull way...

Any ideas of possible adverse effects??

Javier Jarava

you bought a server software for home? or it's a warez version?

Odd as it may seem, you can point your %HOMEDRIVE% to a machine that is not located in your den.

Just me (Sir to you)

"Anonimous" (c'mon, say it out loud):

No, I didn't buy it at all.. nor is it for home (I don't think it's that good OS for gaming/general home use ;:)

As I said on a previous post, it's for work-related computing, so it's the company the one that provides the sw. And MSDN Universal _does_ have licences of all the OSs :)

Javier Jarava

Just me (Sir to you):

Could you clarify a littole on that?

I guess that you refer to roaming profiles, isn't it?
I know (and we do use in some PCs for testing) how to set up  roaming profiles and the like.. but JIC it's some sort of "odd tweak" that might be worth knowing about :)

Thanks a lot.

Javier Jarava

Javier,

I was just poking " " on the %HOMEDRIVE% = "Home machine" thing.

Just me (Sir to you)

Just me (S2U):

Ok :)

Must be that am slower on the uptake than I usually am (and that's saying quite a bit ;)

Javier Jarava

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home